The Role of Student Organizations in Developing Leadership
New Directions for Student Leadership, Number 155
J-B SL Single Issue Student Leadership (Band Nr. 155)
1. Auflage September 2017
112 Seiten, Softcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Rosch, David M. (Herausgeber)
Preis: 30,90 €
Preis inkl. MwSt, zzgl. Versand
How can formal student organizations in secondary and post-secondary education leverage the development of student leadership capacities? After describing the historical and current significance of student organizations, this volume explores effective organizational structures to promote leadership growth. It then focuses on identity-based and professional groups, and how educators can build stronger connections to keep students involved throughout their educational careers.
Readers will learn about research-based ideas regarding:
* How student organizations should be structured and supported to optimize leadership development for the students who participate within them.
* How to create a campus environment that supports students from all backgrounds in exploring their leader identity and growth.
The Jossey-Bass quarterly report series New Directions for Student Leadership explores leadership concepts and pedagogical topics of interest to high school and college leadership educators. Issues are grounded in scholarship and feature practical applications and best practices in youth and adult leadership education.
David M. Rosch
1. The Significance of Student Organizations to Leadership Development 9
David M. Rosch, Jasmine D. Collins
2. Student Organizations as Avenues for Leader Learning and Development 21
Valerie I. Sessa, Nicole Alonso, Pamela Farago, Gaynell Schettino, Kelcie Tacchi, Jennifer D. Bragger
3. Intentional Design of Student Organizations to Optimize Leadership Development 33
Felicia C. Mainella
4. Building Social Change Oriented Leadership Capacity Among Student Organizations: Developing Students and Campuses Simultaneously 45
Adrianna Kezar, Arely Acu~na Avilez, Yianna Drivalas, Marissiko M. Wheaton
5. Advancing Student Leader Development Through Student Organization Advising and Institutional Support 59
6. The Unique Context of Identity-Based Student Organizations in Developing Leadership 71
Corinne M. Kodama, Rhonda Laylo
7. The Empowering Role of Profession-Based Student Organizations in Developing Student Leadership Capacity 83
Mariana J. Lebron, Cheryl L. Stanley, Ariana J. Kim, Kieara H. Thomas
8. Bridging Secondary and Postsecondary Leadership Experiences: A Toolkit for Leadership Learning Facilitators 95
Jackie Bruce, Carrie Ann Stephens