Biofilms in Plant and Soil Health
1. Auflage Oktober 2017
568 Seiten, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Ahmad, Iqbal / Husain, Fohad Mabood (Herausgeber)
Preis: 209,00 €
Preis inkl. MwSt, zzgl. Versand
Biofilms are predominant mode of life for microbes under natural conditions. The three-dimensional structure of the biofilm provides enhanced protection from physical, chemical and biological stress conditions to associated microbial communities. These complex and highly structured microbial communities play a vital role in maintaining the health of plants, soils and waters. Biofilm associated with plants may be pathogenic or beneficial based on the nature of their interactions. Pathogenic or undesirable biofilm requires control in many situations, including soil, plants, food and water.
Written by leading experts from around the world, Biofilms in Plant and Soil Health provides an up-to-date review on various aspects of microbial biofilms, and suggests future and emerging trends in biofilms in plant and soil health.
Issues are addressed in four sub areas:
I) The fundamentals and significance of biofilm in plant and soil health, and the concept of mono and mixed biofilms by PGPR and fungal biofilms.
II) Biochemical and molecular mechanisms in biofilm studies in plant associated bacteria, and techniques in studying biofilms and their characterization, gene expression and enhanced antimicrobial resistance in biofilms, as well as biotic and biotic factors affecting biofilm in vitro.
III) The ecological significance of soil associated biofilms and stress management and bioremediation of contaminated soils and degraded ecosystems.
IV) Pathogenic biofilm associated with plant and food and its control measures.
This book is recommended for students and researchers working in agricultural and environmental microbiology, biotechnology, soil sciences, soil and plant health and plant protection. Researchers working in the area of quorum sensing, biofilm applications, and understanding microbiome of soil and plants will also find it useful.
1. Biofilms: An introduction and significance in plant and soil health
2. Role of PGPR in Biofilm formations and Its importance in plant health
3. Concept of mono and mixed biofilms and their role in soil and in plant association
4. Bacillus biofilms and their role in plant health
5. Biofilm formation by Psedumonas spp and their significance in biocontrol
6. Quorum sensing mechanisms in rhizosphere biofilms
7. Biofilm formation and quorum sensing in the rhizosphere
8. The significance of fungal biofilms in association with plants and soils
9. Chemical nature of biofilm matrix and its significance
10. Root exudates : Composition and impact on plant -microbe interaction
11. Biochemical and molecular mechanism in biofilm studies in plant associated bacteria
12. Techniques in studying biofilms and their characterization: Microscopy to advanced imaging systems in vitro and in situ
13. Gene expression and enhanced antimicrobial resistance in biofilms
14. In vitro assessment of biofilm formation by soil and plant associated microorganisms
15. Biotic and abiotic factors affecting biofilm in vitro and in the rhizosphere
16. The Ecological Significance of soil associated Biofilms and stress management
17. Developed biofilm-based microbial ameliorators for bioremediating degraded ecosystems and the environment
18. Bioremediation and Biofilm in soil and plant root association
19. Biofilms for Remediation of Heavy Metals and Xenobiotic Compounds - A Technical Review."
20. Plant pathogenic bacteria: Role of Quorum sensing and biofilm in disease development
21. Plant pathogenic bacteria biofilm instigation and its control measures
22. Application of biofilm and Quorum sensing inhibitors in food protection and safety.
23. Biofilm inhibition by natural products of marine origin and their environmental application
24. Biofilm formation by enteric pathogens on plants and its impact on human health25. Role of in silico studies in designing QS/antibiofilm agents for controlling biofouling and plant diseases
Iqbal Ahmad is a Professor in the Department of Agricultural Microbiology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India and former visiting Professor, Department of Biology, Umm Al-Qura University, Makkah, Saudia Arabia.
Fohad Mabood Husain is a Post-doctoral Researcher in the Department of Food Science and Nutrition, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia.