Introducing Contemplative Studies
1. Edition November 2017
432 Pages, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
The first book-length introduction to an exciting new interdisciplinary field--written by an internationally recognized leader of the Contemplative Studies movement
This is the first book-length introduction to a growing and influential interdisciplinary field focused on contemplative practice, contemplative experience, and contemplative pedagogy. Written by an internationally recognized leader in the area, Introducing Contemplative Studies seeks to provide readers with a deep and practical understanding of the nature and purpose of the field while encouraging them to find a place of their own in an increasingly widespread movement.
At once comprehensive overview, critical reflection, and visionary proposal, the book explores the central approaches and issues in Contemplative Studies, tackles questions and problems that sometimes go unaddressed, and identifies promising new developments. The author also discusses contemplative pedagogy, an experiential approach to teaching and learning informed by and expressed as contemplative practice.
This is a major introduction to a fast emerging interdisciplinary field that will be invaluable to those interested in the area.
* The only comprehensive introduction to the emerging, interdisciplinary field of Contemplative Studies
* Written by a distinguished leader in the Contemplative Studies movement who is founding Co-Chair of the Contemplative Studies Group of the American Academy of Religion
* Informed by ten years of research and practice, the book explores the field's varied approaches and expressions
* Offers critical reviews of trends which will create discussions both within and outside the Contemplative Studies
* Liberally illustrated with both images and charts
Introducing Contemplative Studies is a must-read for advanced undergraduates, graduate students, teachers and scholars in Contemplative Studies, as well as anyone who is curious about contemplative practice, meditation, contemplative experience, contemplative pedagogy, contemplative science, and, of course, the exciting field of Contemplative Studies generally.
1 Contemplative Studies 12
2 Contemplative Practice 49
3 Contemplative Experience 84
4 Contemplative Traditions 119
5 Contemplative Pedagogy 154
6 Interpretive Approaches 195
7 Current Trends 230
8 Future Prospects 268