E-Books sind auch über alle bekannten E-Book Shops erhältlich.
Kurzbeschreibung This book explains how to formulate a mathematical model from an English description of a problem. It views mathematical notation as a language and develops the implications of this view for translating English text into mathematical expressions and mathematical models, i.e. for applying mathematics to problems described in English. By presenting the language of mathematics explicitly and systematically, this book helps everyone from engineers, technicians, and managers to students and teachers to learn mathematics and improve their ability to apply mathematics beneficially in their own work.
Aus dem Inhalt Preface.
Part A. Introductory overview.
2. Preview: Some Statements in English and the Language of Mathematics.
Part B. Mathematics and its language.
3. Elements of the Language of Mathematics.
4. Important Structures and Concepts in the Language of Mathematics.
5. Solving Problems Mathematically.
Part C. English, the Language of Mathematics and translating between them.
6. Linguistic Characteristics of English and the Language of Mathematics.
7. Translating English to Mathematics.
8. Examples of Translating English to Mathematics.
Part D. Conclusion.
Appendix A. Representing numbers.
Appendix B. Symbols on the Language of Mathematics.
Appendix C. Sets of numbers.
Appendix D. Special structures in mathematics.
Appendix E. Mathematical logic.
Appendix F. Waves and the wave equation.
Appendix G. Glossary: English to the Language of Mathematics.
Appendix H. Programming languages and the Language of Mathematics.