Polity Theory Now
1. Auflage Dezember 2011
2011. 212 Seiten, Hardcover
- Wiley & Sons Ltd -
ISBN 978-0-7456-5135-4 - John Wiley & Sons
Preis inkl. Mehrwertsteuer zzgl. Versandkosten.
Auch verfügbar als Softcover.
E-Books sind auch über alle bekannten E-Book Shops erhältlich.
Peter Sloterdijk is one of the most challenging and contentious thinkers currently working within the European tradition. This is the first collection devoted to his work for English-language audiences and will act as an introduction to his work, set an agenda for engagement with his ideas, and relate his writings to a range of political, theoretical and practical contexts.
Since his philosophical bestseller Critique of Cynical Reason (1983), Sloterdijk has exercised an important influence over German and other European thought and recently interest in his diverse oeuvre has grown considerably. The past few years have seen a number of his books translated into English, with many more to come. The book seeks to do justice to the breadth of Sloterdijk's work throughout his career, orientated around the central topics of cynicism, ressentiment, the posthuman, space and world, art and literature, language, social science and his role as a public intellectual. Contributors include Babette Babich, Sjoerd van Tuinen, Eduardo Mendieta, Marie-Eve Morin, Efrain Kristol, Wieland Hoban, Nigel Thrift, Jean-Pierre Couture, and Sloterdijk himself.
An explicitly interdisciplinary project, Sloterdijk Now is a crucial introduction to the work of this central thinker, in its complexity, variety and notoriety. It is set to spark debate amongst students and scholars across the humanities and social sciences.
Aus dem Inhalt
* List of Contributors
* Sloterdijk's work in German and English translations
* 1. Worlds, Engagements, Temperaments
* Stuart Elden
* 2. Sloterdijk's Cynicism: Diogenes in the Marketplace
* Babette Babich
* 3. From Psychopolitics to Cosmopolitics: The Problem of Ressentiment
* Sjoerd van Tuinen
* 4. A Letter on Überhumanismus: Beyond Posthumanism and Transhumanism
* Eduardo Mendieta
* 5.The Coming-to-the-World of the Human Animal
* Marie-Eve Morin
* 6.A Public Intellectual
* Jean-Pierre Couture
* 7.The Language of Give and Take: Sloterdijk's StylisticbMethods
* Wieland Hoban
* 8.Peter Sloterdijk and the Philosopher's Stone
* Nigel Thrift
* 9.Literature in Sloterdijk's Philosophy
* Efraín Kristal
* 10.The Time of the Crime of the Monstrous: On the Philosophical Justification of the Artificial
* Peter Sloterdijk