E-Books sind auch über alle bekannten E-Book Shops erhältlich.
Langtext Greek: A History of the Language and its Speakers, Second Edition reveals the trajectory of the Greek language from the Mycenaean period of the second millennium BC to the current day.
* Offers a complete linguistic treatment of the history of the Greek language * Updated second edition features increased coverage of the ancient evidence, as well as the roots and development of diglossia * Includes maps that clearly illustrate the distribution of ancient dialects and the geographical spread of Greek in the early Middle Ages
Aus dem Inhalt Preface to the First Edition.
Preface to the Second Edition.
The Greek Alphabet.
Introduction: The Scope and Purpose of This Book.
Part I: Ancient Greek: From Mycenae to the Roman Empire.
1. The Ancient Greek Dialects.
2. Classical Greek: Official and Literary 'Standards'.
3. The Rise of Attic.
4. Greek in the Hellenistic World.
5. Greek in the Roman Empire.
6. Spoken Koine in the Roman Period.
Part II: Byzantium: From Constantine I to Mehmet the Conqueror.
7. Historical Prelude.
8. Greek in the Byzantine Empire: The Major Issues.
9. Byzantine Belles Lettres.
10. The Written Koine in Byzantium.
11. Spoken Greek in the Byzantine Empire: The Principal Developments.
12. Texts in the 'Vernacular'.
Part III: Modern Greek: From the Ottoman Empire to the European Union.