The Nice Girl Syndrome
Stop Being Manipulated and Abused -- and Start Standing Up for Yourself
2008. 256 Seiten, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-470-17938-3 - John Wiley & Sons
Preis inkl. Mehrwertsteuer zzgl. Versandkosten.
Auch verfügbar als Softcover.
E-Books sind auch über alle bekannten E-Book Shops erhältlich.
How women can overcome the pressure to please others and feel free to be their true selves
Are you too nice for your own good? Do family members manipulate you? Do coworkers take advantage of you? If this sounds familiar, read The Nice Girl Syndrome. In this breakthrough guide, renowned author and therapist Beverly Engel, who has helped thousands of women recognize and leave emotionally abusive relationships, can show you how to take control of your life and take care of yourself.
Engel explains that women today simply cannot afford to be Nice Girls, because women who are too nice send the message that they are easy targets and are much more likely to be victimized emotionally, physically, and sexually. She identifies the seven different types of Nice Girls and helps you understand which type or types might apply to you. Engel helps you determine whether the Nice Girl Syndrome is keeping you in an abusive relationship or in manipulative situations and helps you change Nice Girl beliefs and behaviors that are holding you back.
* Shows you how to confront the beliefs and behaviors that keep you stuck in a Nice Girl act as you replace them with healthier, more empowering ones
* Includes inspiring stories of women Engel has worked with who have found the courage and strength to stop taking abuse and start standing up for themselves
* "This book will challenge, entertain, and empower its readers."--Publishers Weekly (starred review)
* Written by renowned author and therapist Beverly Engel, who has helped thousands of women recognize and leave emotionally abusive relationships
Filled with wise advice, powerful exercises, and practical prescriptions, The Nice Girl Syndrome shows you step by step how to take control of your life and be your own strong woman.
Aus dem Inhalt
Part One: Strong Women Aren't Nice.
1. The High Price of Being Too Nice.
2. How did We Get So Nice?
3. The Ten False Beliefs That Set Women Up to Be Used and Abused.
Part Two: From False Beliefs to Empowering Beliefs.
4. Stop Putting Other's Feelings and Needs ahead of Your Own.
5. Stop Believing That Being Nice Will Protect You.
6. Stop Worrying about What Other People Think of You.
7. Stop Trying to Be Perfect.
8. Stop Being Gullible and Naive.
9. Start Standing Up for Your Rights.
10. Start Expressing Your Anger.
11. Learn How to Handle Conflict.
12. Start Facing the Truth about People.
13. Start Supporting and Protecting Yourself.
Part Three: From Nice Girl to Strong Woman.
14. The Four C's: Developing Confidence, Competence, Conviction, and Courage.