|Girling, Simon J. / Raiti, Paul (Hrsg.)|
BSAVA Manual of Reptiles
BSAVA - British Small Animal Veterinary Association
2. Auflage Mai 2004
2004. 350 Seiten, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-905214-75-7 - John Wiley & Sons
Preis inkl. Mehrwertsteuer zzgl. Versandkosten.
Reptile Medicine has become significantly more sophisticated within the last decade, especially in anaesthesia, diagnostics, nutrition, surgery and therapeutics. With this in mind the eidtors have selected contributors whom they felt had superior expertise on a worldwide basis.
Correct husbandry is of prime importance for reptile health; it is the starting point of the manual and is emphasized throughout. Neonatal care is an important addition in the light of widespread captive breeding programmes. Veterinary procedures are detailed in the second part of the manual, including clinical examination, non-invasive imaging, laboratory procedures, anaesthesia, surgery, therapeutics, and humane euthanasia and post-mortem examination. Included in this section are new chapters focusing on emergency care and endoscopy. Organ systems and their associated disorders are then discussed, with separate chapters devoted to parasitology and infectious diseases, where great advances in understanding have been made.
Useful Appendices include a formulary, a table of differentials for presenting signs, and a protocol for handling venomous snakes and lizards.
The first edition of the Manual of Reptiles was at the cutting edge of reptile veterinary care; this completely updated second edition provides the same high standards of relevant information, with the important addition of splendid full-colour photographs throughout.
Aus dem Inhalt
List of contributors.
Part 1. Husbandry.
1. Introduction: Reptiles as Pets (Louise J. Rayment-Dyble).
2. Captive Maintenance and Welfare (Molly Varga).
3. Nutrition (Ian Calvert).
4. Breeding and Neonatal Care (Kevin M. Wright).
Part 2: Veterinary Procedures.
5. Clinical Examination (Aidan Raftery).
6. Emergency Care (Bruce Maclean and Paul Raiti).
7. Diagnostic sampling and laboratory tests (Darryl Heard, Kendal Harr and Jim Wellehan).
8. Non-invasive imaging (Paul Raiti).
9. Diagnostic and surgical endoscopy (Stephen J. Hernandez-Divers).
10. Therapeutics and Medication (Ron Rees Davies and Roger J. Klingenberg).
11. Anaesthesia and Analgesia (Sharon Redrobe).
12. Surgery: Principles and Techniques (Stephen J. Hernandez-Divers).
13. Humane Euthanasia and post-mortem examination (John E. Cooper).
Part 3: Organ Systems and Associated Disorders.
14. Dermatology (Mary A. Fraser and Simon J. Girling).
15. Ophthalmology (Nicholas J. Millichamp).
16. Gastrointestinal System (Stuart McArthur, Laura McLellan and Sarah Brown).
17. Respiratory System (John Chitty).
18. Cardiovascular and Haemopoietic Systems (Simon J. Girling and Ben Hynes).
19. Urogenital System (Jay D. Johnson).
20. Neurology (Emma Keeble).
21. Nutritional Problems (Ian Calvert).
22. Neoplasia (Drury R. Reavill).
23. Parasitology (Roger J. Klingenberg).
24. Infectious Diseases (Rachel E. Marschang and John Chitty).
1. Differential diagnosis for clinical signs in reptiles.
2. A formulary for reptiles.
3. Special considerations for venomous reptiles (Donal Boyer).
4. Common and scientific names.
5. CITES and UK legislation.
6. Conversion table for units.