Freedom of Religion and the Secular State
Blackwell Public Philosophy Series
1. Auflage Januar 2012
2012. 224 Seiten, Softcover
- Praktikerbuch -
ISBN 978-0-470-67403-1 - John Wiley & Sons
Preis inkl. Mehrwertsteuer zzgl. Versandkosten.
Auch verfügbar als Hardcover.
E-Books sind auch über alle bekannten E-Book Shops erhältlich.
Focusing on the intersection of religion, law, and politics in contemporary liberal democracies, Blackford explicates a concept of the secular state, revising and updating enlightenment views for the present day. Freedom of Religion and the Secular State offers a comprehensive analysis, with a global focus, of the subject of religious freedom from a legal as well as historical and philosophical viewpoint. It makes an original contribution to current academic debates about freedom of religion, and addresses a whole range of hot-button issues that involve the relationship between religion and the state, including the teaching of evolution in schools, what to do about the burqa, and so on.
Aus dem Inhalt
1. Motivation and Overview
2. A Short History of Religious Intolerance
3. Hobbes, Locke, and their Legacy: Models of the Modern State
4. Religious Impositions and Endorsements
5. Religion-Based Morality and the Secular State
6. Persecution, Accommodation, and Conscientious Objection
7. Private Power, Religious Communities, and the State
8. Religious Freedom and the Interests of Children
9. Religious Freedom and Freedom of Speech
10. Back to Locke: Concluding Remarks