The Wireless Mobile Internet
Architectures, Protocols and Services
1. Edition January 2003
2003. XX, 462 Pages, Hardcover
- Practical Approach Book -
ISBN 978-0-470-84468-7 - John Wiley & Sons
Providing Internet services to mobile users has become the most significant topic within the telecommunications research community in the past few years. As a result several books have been published by the experts from the cellular communications world and researchers from the computer science field. While cellular books cover architecture and air interface of the second- and third-generation wireless systems, computer networks and Internet books overview some fundamentals and protocols on migrating the fix-IP into mobile environment. Other books that claimed to cover the both topics in the past, however, also failed to provide a complete literature on wireless IP, because of focusing on either access technology or network protocols.
The Wireless Mobile Internet - Architectures, Protocols, and Services elegantly bridges this gap and therefore provides the first complete literature for the wireless Internet both describing the standard activities and the current status of the wireless IP, as well as detailing network models and specific techniques. While some chapters in the Wireless Mobile Internet describe the standard activities and the current status of the wireless IP other chapters detail network models and specific techniques that usually approached by academic researchers.
* Comprehensive yet simple understanding of the wireless Internet through usage of more than 250 conceptual and numerical result figures
* Logical organization for customized use as a reference book on the state-of-the-art technology for wireless Internet, a text for fundamental components of the wireless Internet, standards, and a guideline for advanced research topics
* Provides an easy-to-read but complete reference for core network and access technology of 2G and 3G cellular systems as well as related standards
* Illustrates the main features of future mobile networks
* Offers a thorough literature on essentials for a mobile network: quality of service, traffic modelling and management, mobility management, transport protocols, and network protocols
* Uniquely covers all relevant telecommunication access and network technologies for wireless Internet from wireless LAN to satellite
Essential reading for researchers from industry and academia in the field of wireless cellular networks and Internet, practicing engineers who need a single text on the subject as well as senior level undergraduates and first-year postgraduates.