|Lew, Alan A. / Hall, C. Michael / Williams, Allan M. (eds.)|
A Companion to Tourism
Blackwell Companions to Geography
1. Edition April 2004
2004. 640 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-631-23564-4 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
This groundbreaking Companion offers readers an opportunity to reassess key themes in contemporary tourism studies in the light of recent theoretical developments in tourism studies and the social sciences, as well as dramatic changes in the operating environment for tourism.
* A critical overview of current research in tourism studies.
* Offers readers an opportunity to reassess key themes in tourism studies in the light of recent developments, such as terrorist attacks, SARS and the financial failure of airlines.
* Comprises 48 specially commissioned essays, written by more than 50 acknowledged experts from around the world.
* Covers cutting-edge perspectives and topics, including tourism's role in globalization, sustainable tourism, and the state's role in tourism development.
* Sets an agenda for future tourism research.
* Includes a wealth of bibliographic references.
From the contents
Part I: Introduction.
Part II: Perspectives on Tourism.
Part III: Producing Tourism and Tourism Spaces.
Part IV: Globalization and Contested Places.
Part V: Tourists, Values and Practices.
Part VI: Tourism Place, Space and Forms.
Part VII: Tourism, the Environment and Society.
Part VIII: Policies, Planning and Governance.
Part IX: Conclusions