Bilingual Education in the 21st Century
A Global Perspective
1. Edition October 2008
2008. 496 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-1-4051-1994-8 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Hardcover.
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
In this wide-ranging and provocative book, García examines the history and current state of bilingual education programs throughout the world, offers a critical reading of the current conversations around them, and invites readers to imagine a new paradigm for the 21st century: one based on the idea of multilingual fluidity as a social and cultural imperative in a globalized world. Questioning assumptions regarding language, bilingualism, and bilingual education, Bilingual Education in the 21st Century proposes a new theoretical framework and alternative views of teaching and assessment practices.
From the contents
PART I: BILINGUAL EDUCATION FOR ALL.
01. Introducing Bilingual Education.
PART II: BILINGUALISM AND EDUCATION.
02. Languaging and Education.
03. Bilingualism and Translanguaging.
04. The Sociopolitics of Bilingualism.
05. Benefits of Bilingualism.
PART III: BILINGUAL EDUCATION POLICY.
06. BE: Frameworks and Types.
07. BE: Factors and Variables by Hugo Baetens Beardsmore.
08. U.S. Language Policy in Education.
09. Language Promotion by European Supra-National Institutions by Hugo Baetens Beardsmore.
10. Monoglossic bilingual education policy.
11. Heteroglossic bilingual education policy.
by Ofelia García, Hugo Baetens Beardsmore and Zeena Zakharia, with Debra Cole.
PART FOUR: BILINGUAL EDUCATION PRACTICES.
12. Bilingualism in the Curriculum.
13. Bilingual Education Pedagogy and Practices.
14. Biliteracy Practices and Pedagogy.
15. Assessment by Ofelia García and Hugo Baetens Beardsmore.
PART V: BILINGUAL EDUCATION FOR THE 21st Century.
Appendix: Myths and Realities: by Cristina Muir, Yesenia Morales, Lori Falchi & Ofelia García.