|Goodwin, Majorie Harness|
The Hidden Life of Girls
Games of Stance, Status, and Exclusion
Blackwell Studies in Discourse and Culture
1. Edition November 2006
2006. 344 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-631-23425-8 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Hardcover.
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Winner of the Best Book of 2008 from The International Gender and Language Association
In this ground-breaking ethnography of girls on a playground, Goodwin offers a window into their complex social worlds.
* Combats stereotypes that have dominated theories on female moral development by challenging the notion that girls are inherently supportive of each other
* Examines the stances that girls on a playground in a multicultural school setting assume and shows how they position themselves in their peer groups
* Documents the language practices and degradation rituals used to sanction friends and to bully others
* Part of the Blackwell Studies in Discourse and Culture Series
From the contents
List of Figures and Tables.
2. Multimodality, Conflict, and Rationality in Girls' Games.
3. Social Dimensions of a Popular Girls' Clique.
4. Social Organization, Opposition, and Directives in the Game of Jump Rope.
5. Language Practices for Indexing Social Status: Stories, Descriptions, Brags, and Comparisons.
6. Stance and Structure in Assessment and Gossip Activity.
7. Constructing Social Difference and Exclusion in Girls' Groups.
Appendix A: Transcription Symbols.
Appendix B: Jump Rope Rhymes.