|Nautical Archaeology Society (NAS)|
The NAS Guide to Principles and Practice
2. Edition July 2008
2008. 240 Pages, Softcover
- Handbook/Reference Book -
ISBN 978-1-4051-7591-3 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Archaeology Underwater: The NAS Guide to Principles and Practice provides a comprehensive summary of the archaeological process as applied in an underwater context. Containing extensive practical advice and information, including how to get involved, basic principles, essential techniques and approaches, project planning and execution, and publishing and presenting, this book is essential reading for anyone with an interest in nautical archaeology. Fully illustrated with over 100 drawings and new colour graphics, this second edition includes additional chapters on geophysics, historical research, photography and video, monitoring and maintenance, and conservation.
From the contents
List of figures.
List of plates.
1. The NAS Handbook - why it was written.
2. Underwater archaeology.
3. Getting involved in underwater and foreshore archaeology.
4. Basic principles - making the most of the clues.
5. Project planning.
6. Safety on archaeological sites under water and on the foreshore.
7. International and national laws relating to archaeology under water.
8. Archaeological recording.
9. Historical research.
10. Photography and video.
12. Underwater search methods.
13. Geophysical and remote-sensing surveys.
14. Underwater survey.
15. Destructive investigative techniques.
16. Archaeological conservation and first-aid for finds.
17. Site monitoring and protection.
18. Archaeological illustration.
19. Post-fieldwork analysis and archiving.
20. Presenting, publicising and publishing archaeological work.
Anchor recording appendix.
NAS Training Programme appendix.
Jonathan Adams, BA DPhil FSA MIFA.
Marc-André Bernier, BA MA.
Lucy Blue, BA DPhil.
Amanda Bowens, BA MA.
Martin Dean, BSc MIFA (Hon) FSA.
Justin Dix, BSc PhD.
Joe Flatman, MA PhD PIFA.
Craig Forrest, B.Comm LLB LLM PGCE PhD.
Damian Goodburn, BA PhD AIFA.
Alexandra Hildred, BA MIFA FSA.
Kester Keighley, MSc.
Stuart Leather, MSc.
Gordon Le Pard, BSc.
Colin Martin, PhD FRHistS FSA (Scot) MIFA MAAIS.
Paula Martin, BA Dip Class Arch PhD FSA Scot MIFA.
Douglas McElvogue, PhD MIFA FSA Scot.
Gustav Milne, MPhil FSA.
David Parham, BA MSc MIFA RPA.
Leslie Perkins McKewan, MSc PIFA.
Rory Quinn, PhD.
Julie Satchell, BA MA MIFA.
Graham Scott, AIFA.
Amanda Sutherland, BSc ACR.
Christopher Underwood, BEd MA.
Steve Waring, BSc.
Michael Williams, LLB