|Glickman, Carl D.|
Renewing America's Schools
A Guide for School-Based Action
1998. 208 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-7879-4065-2 - John Wiley & Sons
NEW IN PAPERPBACK
An excellent 'how-to-do-it book' for educators in schools and school districts who are involved in or about to begin major school-based reforms.
?Thomas W. Payzant, superintAndent of schools, San Diego, California
Renewing America's Schools raises the most fundamental questions about the purpose of public education, the role of schools, and the needed school-based application to fulfill the promise of education in a democratic society. This is a book that shows teachers, principals, students, parents, central office personnel, school boards, and community members exactly what they need to do to create schools that are purposeful, moral, and successful places.
A down-to-earth and provocative look at the school reform movement, Renewing America's Schools keeps the focus of renewal squarely on teaching and learning concerns. It is an invaluable resource for anyone involved with school change.
1. Introduction: Recapturing the Essence of Schools
Part One: A Framework for Renewing Schools
2. The Covenant: Establishing Common Principles of Teaching and Learning
3. The Charter: Understanding How Decisions Are Made
4. The Critical Study Process: Making the Most of Important Information
Part Two: The Work of School Renewal
5. Educational Tasks and Organizational Readiness
6. Becoming an Educative Community
7. Dealing with Tough Questions of Practice
8. Supporting School Renewal: The District's Role
9. Common Dilemmas of Good Schools
10. Conclusion: Staying the Course
Carl D. Glickman is professor of educational leadership and executive director of the Program for School Improvement at the University of Georgia.
From the contents
1. Introduction: Recapturing the Essence of Schools.
A FRAMEWORK FOR RENEWING SCHOOLS.
2. The Covenant: Establishing Common Principles of Teaching and Learning.
3. The Charter: Understanding How Decisions Are Made.
4. The Critical Study Process: Making the Most of Important Information.
THE WORK OF SCHOOL RENEWAL.
5. Educational Tasks and Organizational Readiness.
6. Becoming an Educative Community.
7. Dealing with Tough Questions of Practice.
8. Supporting School Renewal: The District's Role.
9. Common Dilemmas of Good Schools.
10. Conclusion: Staying the Course.
Appendix A: Foxfire Core Practices.
Appendix B: Sample Charter of Democratic Governance.
Appendix C: The Peakview School Charter.
Appendix D: Georgia Schools for the Future Program: Invitational Policy.