|Bernstein, Peter L.|
The Power of Gold
The History of an Obsession. Illustrated Edition
1. Edition September 2004
2004. 304 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-470-09100-5 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
In this special illustrated edition of The Power of Gold, Peter Bernstein reveals a record of the ubiquitous nature of gold in our lives: from mines to myths, worship to war, museums to financial markets, the role of gold has been engraved in the annals of human civilization. Featuring images of unique treasures from around the world-from the earliest kingdoms and the opulence of the Aztecs to the Incas and the glory of the courts of Europe-Bernstein tells the story of how human beings have become intoxicated, obsessed, enriched, impoverished, humbled, and proud all for the sake of gold.
From the contents
Prologue: The Supreme Possession.
1. Get Gold at All Hazards.
2. Midas's Wish and the Creatures of Pure Chance.
3. Darius's Bathtub and the Cackling of the Geese.
4. The Symbol and the Faith.
5. Gold, Salt and the Blessed Town.
6. The Legacy of Eoba, Babba and Udd.
7. The Great Chain Reaction.
8. The Disintegrating Age and the Kings' Ransoms.
9. The Sacred Thirst.
10. The Fatal Poison and Private Money.
11. The Asian Necropolis and Hien Tsung's Inadvertent Innovation.
12. The Great Recoinage and the Last of the Magicians.
13. The True Doctrine and the Great Evil.
14. The New Mistress and the Cursed Discovery.
15. Strength and Failure.
16. Breaking the Golden Fetters.
17. Tearing Loos e the Golden Anchor.