|Botana, Luis M. (ed.)|
Chemistry and Biochemistry
1. Edition April 2007
2007. 368 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-8138-2700-1 - John Wiley & Sons
Phycotoxins: Chemistry and Biochemistry presents the most updated information available on phycotoxins. Major emphases are given to chemistry and biochemistry, while minor emphases are given to the aspects of origin, toxicology, or analytical methodology. The book discusses 16 phycotoxins, 7 on those affecting the nervous systems, 4 affecting other body systems; and 4 with undefined targets.
An alphabetical listing of toxins presented includes: Azaspiracids; Brevetoxins; Cyanobacterial toxins; Domoic acid; Gambierols; Gymnodimines, prorocentrolides, spirolides, pinnatoxins and cyclic imines in general; Maitotoxin; Okadaic acid and dinophysistoxins; Palytoxins and ostreocins; Pectenotoxins; Polycavernosides; and Yessotoxins. In addition, several mechanistic aspects of newer or emerging toxins are covered such as amphidinols or gymnocine. Information presented and coverage of each toxin follows the following distribution: background and toxicology (10%); chemistry, biochemistry and metabolism (75%); mechanism of action (10%); and analytical methodology (5%).
The detailed information on chemistry in Phycotoxins: Chemistry and Biochemistry provides investigators, regulators, food technologists and toxicologists an updated basis on which research in other areas such as toxicology, mechanism of action, analytical methodology and pharmacology can be successfully developed and expanded.
From the contents
* Brevetoxins: Structure, Toxicology and Origin.
* Chemistry of Maitotoxin.
* Biochemistry of Maitotoxin.
* The Chemistry of Palytoxins and Ostreocins.
* Biochemistry of Palytoxins and Ostreocins.
* Chemistry of Cyanobacterial Neurotoxins - Anatoxin-a: Synthetic Approaches.
* Anatoxin-a and Analogues: Discovery, Distribution and Toxicology.
* Chemistry, Orgins and Distribution of Yessotoxin and it's Analogues.
* Pharmacology of Yessotoxin.
* Chemistry of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning Toxins.
* The Molecular and Integrative Basis to Domoic Acid Toxicity.
* Hepatotoxic Cyanobacteria.
* Structural Assignment and Total Synthesis of Azaspiracid-1.
* Biochemistry of Azaspiracid Poisoning Toxins.
* The Cyclic Imines: An Insight into this Emerging Group of Bioactive Marine Toxins