|Botana, Luis M. (ed.)|
Chemistry and Biochemistry
1. Edition April 2007
2007. 368 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-8138-2700-1 - John Wiley & Sons
Phycotoxins: Chemistry and Biochemistry presents the mostupdated information available on phycotoxins. Major emphases aregiven to chemistry and biochemistry, while minor emphases are givento the aspects of origin, toxicology, or analytical methodology.The book discusses 16 phycotoxins, 7 on those affecting the nervoussystems, 4 affecting other body systems; and 4 with undefinedtargets.
An alphabetical listing of toxins presented includes:Azaspiracids; Brevetoxins; Cyanobacterial toxins; Domoic acid;Gambierols; Gymnodimines, prorocentrolides, spirolides, pinnatoxinsand cyclic imines in general; Maitotoxin; Okadaic acid anddinophysistoxins; Palytoxins and ostreocins; Pectenotoxins;Polycavernosides; and Yessotoxins. In addition, several mechanisticaspects of newer or emerging toxins are covered such as amphidinolsor gymnocine. Information presented and coverage of each toxinfollows the following distribution: background and toxicology(10%); chemistry, biochemistry and metabolism (75%); mechanism ofaction (10%); and analytical methodology (5%).
The detailed information on chemistry in Phycotoxins:Chemistry and Biochemistry provides investigators, regulators,food technologists and toxicologists an updated basis on whichresearch in other areas such as toxicology, mechanism of action,analytical methodology and pharmacology can be successfullydeveloped and expanded.
From the contents
* * Gambierols.
* Brevetoxins: Structure, Toxicology and Origin.
* Chemistry of Maitotoxin.
* Biochemistry of Maitotoxin.
* The Chemistry of Palytoxins and Ostreocins.
* Biochemistry of Palytoxins and Ostreocins.
* Chemistry of Cyanobacterial Neurotoxins - Anatoxin-a:Synthetic Approaches.
* Anatoxin-a and Analogues: Discovery, Distribution andToxicology.
* Chemistry, Orgins and Distribution of Yessotoxin and it'sAnalogues.
* Pharmacology of Yessotoxin.
* Chemistry of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning Toxins.
* The Molecular and Integrative Basis to Domoic Acid Toxicity.
* Hepatotoxic Cyanobacteria.
* Structural Assignment and Total Synthesis of Azaspiracid-1.
* Biochemistry of Azaspiracid Poisoning Toxins.
* The Cyclic Imines: An Insight into this Emerging Group ofBioactive Marine Toxins