|Yu, Liangli L. / Tsao, Rong / Shahidi, Fereidoon (eds.)|
Cereals and Pulses
Nutraceutical Properties and Health Benefits
Food Science and Technology
1. Edition March 2012
2012. 328 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-8138-1839-9 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Edited and authored by an international team of respected researchers, this book provides a summary of current research findings related to phytochemical compositions and properties of cereal and pulse crops. It will serve as a timely guide for scientists working in food ingredients, food product research and development, functional foods and nutraceuticals, crop breeding and genetics, post-harvest treatment and processing of cereal grains and pulses, and human nutrition to effect value-added food innovation for health promotion and disease risk reduction.
From the contents
1. Cereals and pulses - An overview.
2. Effects of barley consumption on cardiovascular and diabetic risk.
3. Oats - Food, nutrition, and health.
4. Potential of rice grain and fractions in cancer prevention.
5. Hypolipidemic effects of rice bran oil.
6. Positive health beneficial effects of rye.
8. Adlay (Job's tears).
14. Common beans (Phaseolus vulgaris).
15. Field peas (Pisum sativum).
16. Faba bean (Vicia faba).
17. Chickpea (Cicer arietinum).
18. Lentil (Lens culinaris).
19. Soybean - Isoflavones and phytoestrogenic effect.
20. Soybean - Isoflavones and soy protein and bone health.
21. Soybean - Phytochemicals, soy protein isolates and hydrolysates and chronic diseases.
22. Health beneficial effects of dietary fiber.
23. Antioxidants and human health.