|Lange, Paul H. / Adamec, Christine|
Prostate Cancer For Dummies
2003. 384 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-7645-1974-1 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Hearing that you have prostate cancer, or even that you may have it, is very scary. But this disease, in many cases, is curable. Even if you have advanced cancer that's spread beyond the prostate, many treatments help extend your life for years. You need good information to help you with the decisions that lie ahead, and this book provides you with this information.
Prostate Cancer For Dummies can help you if
* You have prostate cancer (or you think that you have it), or someone close to you has it.
* You want information on treatments for prostate cancer as you form a treatment plan with your doctor.
* You are curious about alternative therapies for prostate cancer.
* You want to know what actions you can take over the long-term to continue to fight your prostate cancer.
Prostate Cancer For Dummies explains the key issues and problems that are associated with prostate cancer, and assures you that although the initial impact of being diagnosed is devastating, you can take action to extend your life.
You don't have to read this book from the first page straight on through, although you can. You may want to read the first chapter and then move to the chapters that affect you the most. In Prostate Cancer For Dummies, you'll gain insight into
* Discovering the key symptoms of prostate cancer
* Recognizing the risk factors, and who's most likely to have prostate cancer
* Getting a diagnosis, and what's involved
* Getting well again, and how you can work with your doctor to come up with a plan to cope with your cancer
* Changing your lifestyle to decrease your risk of a recurrence
* Coping with the aftermath, from temporary to permanent side effects
* Handling work and family, and how to help others understand what you're going through
It's extremely hard to hear from your doctor that you or a loved one has prostate cancer. But after you recover from the initial shock of diagnosis, you need to educate yourself, and, with the help of your physician, make a plan for getting the best treatment possible. Prostate Cancer For Dummies will help you achieve these goals and encourage you to maintain your commitment to managing your health.
From the contents
Part I: Prostate Cancer: What It Is and Is Not.
Chapter 1: Identifying Basic Realities of Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 2: Understanding the Prostate Gland and Recognizing Cancer Symptoms.
Chapter 3: Investigating Who's at Risk for Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 4: Identifying Diseases That May Mimic Prostate Cancer.
Part II: Getting a Diagnosis.
Chapter 5: Working with Your Doctor to Detect Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 6: Diagnosing and Treating Prostate Cancer with the Help of Specialists.
Chapter 7: Understanding the Biopsy.
Chapter 8: Staging and Grading the C0ncer.
Part III: Getting to Wellness: Treating Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 9: Making a Treatment Plan.
Chapter 10: Mastering Your Fears.
Chapter 11: Prostatectomy: A Mainstay Treatment for Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 12: Destroying the Cancer with Radiation Therapy.
Chapter 13: Slowing the Cancer with Hormones.
Chapter 14: Considering Cutting-edge Treatments.
Chapter 15: Treating Very Advanced Cancer.
Part IV: Changing Your Lifestyle to Combat Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 16: Stress-busting When You Need It Most.
Chapter 17: Working on a Healthy Lifestyle.
Chapter 18: Alternative Remedies.
Part V: Coping with the Aftermath Effects of Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 19: Resolving Erectile Problems.
Chapter 20: Dealing with Urinary Incontinence.
Chapter 21: What to Do When Treatment Doesn't Wipe Out Cancer.
Part VI: Handling Work and Family.
Chapter 22: Coping with Cancer on the Job.
Chapter 23: Helping Friends and Family Understand Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 24: Helping a Loved One Cope with Prostate Cancer.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 25: Ten Myths and Realities about Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 26: Ten Must-do's for Everyone Battling Prostate Cancer.
Chapter 27: Ten Ways to Beat the Blues.
Appendix A: Glossary.
Appendix B: Resources.