Mignolo, Walter D. The Idea of Latin America Blackwell Manifestos
1. Edition November 2005 28.90 Euro 2005. 224 Pages, Softcover ISBN 978-1-4051-0086-1 - John Wiley & Sons
Detailed description The Idea of Latin America is a geo-political manifesto which insists on the need to leave behind an idea which belonged to the nation-building mentality of nineteenth-century Europe.
* Charts the history of the concept of Latin America from its emergence in Europe in the second half of the nineteenth century through various permutations to the present day.
* Asks what is at stake in the survival of an idea which subdivides the Americas.
* Reinstates the indigenous peoples and migrations excluded by the image of a homogenous Latin America with defined borders.
* Insists on the pressing need to leave behind an idea which belonged to the nation-building mentality of nineteenth-century Europe.