Gellner, Ernest Nations and Nationalism New Perspectives on the Past
2. Edition May 2006 26.90 Euro 2006. 208 Pages, Softcover ISBN 978-1-4051-3442-2 - John Wiley & Sons
Detailed description This updated edition of Ernest Gellner's classic exploration of the roots of nationalism includes an extended introduction from John Breuilly, tracing the way the field has changed over the past two decades.
* As pertinent today as it was when it was first published in 1983.
* Argues that nationalism is a product of industrialization.
* The new edition includes references to important work on nationalism published since 1983.
Second Edition not available in the USA.
From the contents Series Editor's Preface.
Introduction by John Breuilly.
2. Culture in Agrarian Society.
3. Industrial Society.
4. The Transition to an Age of Nationalism.
5. What is a Nation.
6. Social Entropy and Equality in Industrial Society.
7. A Typology of Nationalisms.
8. The Future of Nationalism.
9. Nationalism and Ideology.
Bilbliography of Ernest Gellner's writing: Ian Jarvie.