|Fox, Chris / Lappin, Shalom|
Foundations of Intensional Semantics
1. Edition June 2005
2005. 208 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-631-23376-3 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Hardcover.
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
This book provides a systematic study of three foundational issues in the semantics of natural language that have been relatively neglected in the past few decades.
* focuses on the formal characterization of intensions, the nature of an adequate type system for natural language semantics, and the formal power of the semantic representation language
* proposes a theory that offers a promising framework for developing a computational semantic system sufficiently expressive to capture the properties of natural language meaning while remaining computationally tractable
* written by two leading researchers and of interest to students and researchers in formal semantics, computational linguistics, logic, artificial intelligence, and the philosophy of language
From the contents
2. Alternative Approaches to Fine-Grained Intensionality.
3. Intensions as Primitives.
4. A Higher-Order, Fine-Grained Intensional Logic.
5. Property Theory with Curry Typing.
6. Number Theory and Cardinaltiy.
7. Anaphora and Ellipsis.
8. Underspecified Interpretations.
9. Expressive Power and Formal Strength.
Author Index.Subject Index.