|Fernández, Eva M. / Cairns, Helen Smith|
Fundamentals of Psycholinguistics
Fundamentals of Linguistics
1. Edition July 2010
2010. 336 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-1-4051-9152-4 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Softcover.
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Introducing the fundamental issues in psycholinguistics, this book explores the amazing story of the unconscious processes that take place when humans use language. Reflecting the experience and knowledge gained by the authors in their combined forty years of teaching psycholinguistics, the book is structured as an engaging narrative, taking the reader from an idea in the mind of a speaker, to its comprehension in the mind of the hearer. With useful student study features, including end-of-chapter questions, a review of the key concepts, and further readings, this is a welcome addition for those seeking a linguistically-oriented yet balanced textbook.
From the contents
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
1. Beginning Concepts.
2. The Nature of Linguistic Competence.
3. The Biological Basis of Language.
4. The Acquisition of Language.
5. The Speaker: Producing Speech.
6. The Hearer: Speech Perception and Lexical Access.
7. The Hearer: Structural Processing.
8. Remembering Sentences, Processing Discourse, and Having Conversations.
Epilogue. Appendix: Experimental Designs in Psycholinguistics.
Name Index .