Pharmacology for the Health Care Professions
1. Edition October 2008
2008. 376 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-470-51018-6 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Softcover.
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Pharmacology for the Health Care Professions is an accessible introduction to the pharmacology necessary for health care professionals training to be non-medical prescribers. The book covers the pharmacology necessary for accredited training programmes in non-medical prescribing and certification in access and supply of prescription-only medicines and will be useful as an ongoing reference for future use in practice.
Opening with a general introduction to pharmacology as a science, the book goes on to explain what is meant by drugs and medicines and why pharmacology should be of relevance to health care professionals. The reader is presented with general principles of pharmacology followed by systemic pharmacology that covers the actions of important groups of drugs in common use to treat diseases and conditions of the cardiovascular, respiratory, endocrine, musculoskeletal, skin and central nervous systems. The physiology and pathophysiology relevant to the understanding of how these drugs work is included.
Finally the book explores the law in relation to the sale, supply, administration and prescription of drugs and explains what is meant by non-medical prescribing. All aspects of non-medical prescribing are considered including the use of exemptions to the Medicines Act, patient group directions, supplementary prescribing and the development of independent prescribing for nurses and pharmacists.
* Clearly explains the importance of pharmacology to health care professionals following approved courses for supplementary prescribers.
* Pharmacology explained clearly and concisely avoiding unnecessary use of chemistry.
* Includes numerous relevant case studies taken from real-life situations obtained from health care professionals.
* Examples of drugs familiar and relevant to health care professionals used throughout.
* Scenario-based case studies clearly illustrate the importance of the pharmacology of major body systems and pathologies.
* An invaluable text not only for allied healthcare professionals such as podiatrists, physiotherapists and radiographers but also a useful reference for pharmacists and nurses.