|Small, Helen (ed.)|
The Public Intellectual
1. Edition July 2002
2002. 248 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-631-23197-4 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
New essays by prestigious thinkers such as Edward Said, Bruce Robbins, Jacqueline Rose, and Stefan Collini on the public role of writers and intellectuals.
From the contents
List of Contributors.
Introduction (Helen Small).
1. The Public Role of Writers and Intellectuals (Edward W. Said).
2. Pre-modern Intellectual Biography (Rita Copeland).
3. Humanism, Slavery, and the Republic of Letters (David Wallace).
4. Hamlet the Intellectual (Margreta de Grazia).
5. Deaths of the Intellectual: A Comparative Autopsy (Jeremy Jennings).
6. New Art, Old Masters, and Masked Passions (Linda S. Kauffman).
7. Apathy and Accountability: The Challenge of South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission to the Intellectual in the Modern World (Jacqueline Rose).
8. The Sweatshop Sublime (Bruce Robbins).
9. "Every Fruit-Juice Drinker, Nudist, Sandal-Wearer...": Intellectuals as Other People (Stefan Collini).