Government and Politics in Britain
3. Edition April 2003
2003. 800 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-7456-2593-5 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Softcover.
The third edition of this best-selling, prize-winning textbook continues to lead the field with its widely acknowledged capacity to enthuse students through its challenging and thought-provoking style. With the reforming Blair government in its second term, evidence of popular disenchantment with traditional politics, globalization and new levels of terrorism, British politics continues in a state of dramatic flux. To chart the most recent developments in contemporary British politics, this edition has been updated in all its 22 chapters.
* Coherent structure of this single-authored textbook makes it exceptionally easy to use and draws the threads together with a holistic perspective
* Brings the subject to life by taking the reader beyond 'facts' to the fascinating questions about power, ambition, intrigue and corruption in the real world of politics
* Attractively presented, with memorable quotations, cartoons, photographs, diagrams and tables to enliven the text and make the learning process involving and informative
* Glossary, impressive bibliography and up-to-date chronology.
* Supported by a textsite designed for students and lecturers: www.polity.co.uk/kingdom
Well established as a central text for students of British politics and government, the book has also proved of wide relevance throughout the social sciences.
From the contents
2. Political Ideology.
4. Global context.
5. Britain in Western Europe.
6. A Disunited Kingdom.
7. Social context.
8. Mind Politics.
9. Electoral system.
10. Life history of the party system.
11. Inside the parties.
12. Pomp and Circumstance.
13. Parliament: Not to Reason Why.
14. The Heart of Government: of Cabinets and Kings.
15. The Village of Whitehall.
16. Politics of Public Expenditure.
17. The Politics of Influence.
18. Arm's Length Administration.
19. Local Government.
20. Justice and Politics.
21. The Coercive State.
22. Thinking Holistically.