|Stockwin, J. A. A.|
Divided Politics in a Resurgent Economy
4. Edition February 2008
2008. 320 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-1-4051-5416-1 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Hardcover.
This fourth edition provides an in-depth, up-to-date, chronological analysis of Japan's current political system and the contributions of its leaders. It emphasizes why Japan and its politics matters in a global society.
* Ideal for college courses on Japanese or comparative politics as well as for those interested in Japanese war memory, constitutional revision, and Japan's relationship with the US, China, and North and South Korea
* Investigates the divided aspects existing below the veneer of consensus in Japanese politics
* Explores conflicts between power-hungry political groups as well as fundamental differences regarding Japan's constitution, the interpretation of Japanese actions in the Asia-Pacific War, and Japan's place in today's world
* Advocates a system that readily permits changes of party in power for the present system dominated by the Liberal Democratic Party
* Examines the extreme statements of high profile politicians to determine whether a "nationalist resurgence" in Japan is real or not
* Sheds light on the official incompetence and the spectacular rise of civil society following the Kobe earthquake
* Features numerous Japanese sources
From the contents
General Editor's Introduction.
List of Tables.
1. Introduction: Why Japan and its Politics Matter.
2. Historical Background: Japan's Emergence as a Modern State and the Politics of War, 1853--1945.
3. Social Background: How far Social Norms and Behaviour Influence Politics.
4. Political Reconstruction and Development, 1945-1989.
5. One Step Forward and One Step Back: Attempting Political Reform in the 1990s.
6. New Politics for the New Millennium: The Koizumi Effect.
7. Who Runs Japan?.
8. Parliament and Parliamentary Elections: The Changing Character of Electioneering.
9. The Politics of Party: The Liberal Democrats and their Rivals.
10. Some Problems of the Constitution.
11. Issues of Domestic Political Concern.
12. Issues of Foreign Policy and Defence.
13. Conclusions: The Analytical Challenge of Japanese Politics.
Appendix 1: House of Representatives Election Results, 1946-1955.
Appendix 2: House of Representatives Election Results, 1958-1972.
Appendix 3: House of Representatives Election Results, 1976-1990.
Appendix 4: House of Representatives Election Results, 1993-2005.
Appendix 5: House of Councillors Election Results, 11 July 2004.
Appendix 6: House of Councillors Election Results, 29 July 2007.