|Leftwich, Adrian (ed.)|
Democracy and Development
Theory and Practice
1. Edition November 1995
1995. 320 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-7456-1267-6 - John Wiley & Sons
This book calls into question the current western orthodoxy about the relationship of democracy and development, exploring the theoretical issues involved in the relationship and examining a number of case sudies.
From the contents
List of Tables.
Notes on the Contributors.
Part I: Theory and Controversy. .
1. On the Primacy of Politics in Development: A. Leftwich.
2. Toward a Theory of Developmental Democracy: R. L. Sklar.
3. Democracy and Development: A Statistical Exploration: S. Ersson and J.-E. Lane.
4. Governance, Democracy and Development: A Contractualist View: G. Hawthorn and P. Seabright.
Part II: Case Studies. .
5. Development, Democracy and Civil Society in Botswana: J. D. Holm.
6. Dilemmas of Democratic Development in India: S. Kaviraj.
7. A Circle of Paradox: Development, Politics, and Democracy in South Korea: C. Moon and Y. C. Kim.
8. Chile: Democracy and Development in a Divided Society: J. Pearce.
9. South Africa: Democracy and Development in a Post-apartheid Society: T. Lodge.
10. Development and Democratization in China: G. White.
11. Democracy without Development in the South Pacific: P. Larmour.
12. Has Democracy Failed Russia?: P. Rutland.
Part III: Conclusion. .
13. Two Cheers for Democracy? Democracy and the Developmental State: A. Leftwich.