Motivating Political Morality
1. Edition June 1992
1992. 208 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-1-55786-332-4 - John Wiley & Sons
Knowing what is the right thing to do is one thing. bringing yourself to do it is often quite another. This book is addressed to those who ask, 'Why should I be moral?' It explores strategies and tactics for evoking moral responses from people, especially in political contexts where so much is at stake.
From the contents
1. Motives, Moral and Otherwise.
Part I: The Moral Tack:.
2. Reciprocity and the Duty of Fair Play.
3. Uncertainty and Impartiality.
Part II: The Political Tack:.
5. Extending the Franchise.
6. Entrenched Rights and Constitutional Restraints.
7. Publicity, Accountability and Discursive Defensibility.
Part III: Conclusions:.
8. Infusing Morality into Politics.
9. Taking Morality out of Politics.