Basic Child Psychiatry
7. Edition May 2004
2004. 264 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-632-05675-0 - John Wiley & Sons
The seventh edition of Basic Child Psychiatry has been completely revised and updated to take account of advances in this fascinating and important subject.
The opening chapters set the scene with developmental considerations, epidemiology and assessment. Coverage includes causal factors and reflects the progress made in the understanding of the genetics of child psychiatric disorders. The main body of the book guides the reader through the major disorders. The final chapters address child abuse and neglect, treatment approaches and prevention. References are provided to enable readers to locate more information on subjects they wish to pursue further.
The book refers to the widely used systems of classifying psychiatric disorders - the World Health Organisation's ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders and the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) - and provides a succinct orientation chapter on these systems.
From the contents
1. Developmental Considerations.
2. Causes of Child Psychiatric Disorders.
3. Classification of Child Psychiatric Disorders.
5. Assessing Children and their Families.
6. Conduct and Oppositional Disorders.
7. Hyperkinetic and Attention Deficit Disorders.
8. Anxiety Disorders.
9. Mixed Disorders of Conduct and Emotions.
10. Major Affective Disorders, Suicide and Dysthymia.
11. Pervasive Developmental Disorders.
12. Specific Disorders of Development.
13. Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses of Childhood.
14. Enuresis and Encopresis.
15. Reactions to Stress.
16. Other Psychiatric Syndromes.
17. Mind-Body Relationships.
18. Infant Psychiatry.
19. Special Problems of Adolescence.
20. Psychiatric Disorders in Mentally Retarded Children.
21. Child Abuse and Neglect.
22. Treatment Approaches.