E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Short description Advanced Monitoring and Procedures for Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care is a comprehensive yet practical reference, providing hands-on information essential to veterinarians and veterinary technicians involved in emergency and critical care. Written by an expert team of veterinarians and veterinary technicians, this well-referenced book offers step-by-step protocols for performing advanced emergency and critical care procedures and monitoring techniques. Packed with practical guidance in an easy-to-use format, this book is ideally suited for quick access in emergency rooms or intensive care units.
From the contents 1. Introduction to Small Animal Emergency Practice.
2. Introduction to Intensive Care.
Section I: Cardiovascular.
3. Catheterization of the Venous Compartment.
4. Arterial Puncture and Catheter Placement.
6. Basic Electrocardiogram Interpretation.
7. Principles of Arterial Blood Pressure Monitoring.
8. Indirect Arterial Blood Pressure Monitoring.
9. Direct Arterial Blood Pressure Monitoring.
10. Central Venous Pressure Monitoring.
11. Use of the Pulmonary Arterial Catheter.
12. Bedside Echocardiography.
13. Other Cardiac Output Monitoring Techniques.
14. Monitoring Tissue Perfusion: Clinicopathologic Aids and Advanced Techniques.
15. CPR Techniques.
17. Temporary Pacemakers.
18. Emergency Thoracotomy.
Section II: Respiratory.
20. Oxygen Therapy.
21. Arterial Blood Gas Interpretation.
22. Pulse Oximetry and Co-oximetry.
23. Rapid Sequence Intubation.
24. Tracheostomy Tube Placement.
25. Artificial Airway Management.
26. End-Tidal CO2 monitoring.
27. Mechanical Ventilation.
28. Basic ventilator waveform analysis.
29. Pleural Space Drainage.
30. Thoracic Imaging in the Critically Ill Patient.
Section III: Renal.
31. Urinary Catheter Placement.
32. Urine Evaluation.
33. Peritoneal Dialysis.
Section IV: The Abdomen.
35. Peritoneal Evaluation.
36. Gastrointestinal Decompression and Decontamination.
37. Management of the Open Abdomen.
Section V: Nutrition.
38. Nutritional Requirements in Critical Illness.
39. Assisted Enteral Feeding.
40. Parenteral nutrition.
41. Enteral Diets.
Section VI: Analgesia and Anesthesia.
42. Pain Control.
43. Drug Administration.
44. Systemic Analgesia - basic overview of these classes with patient considerations included.
45. Local Analgesia.
46. Monitoring the Anesthetized Patient.
47. Nursing Care of the Long-Term Anesthetized Patient.
Section VII: Clinicopathologic Techniques.
48. Blood Sample Collection and Handling.
49. In-house Hematological Evaluation.
50. Serum Electrolyte Evaluation.
51. Osmolality and Colloid Osmotic Pressure Measurements.
53. Blood Banking.
54. Blood Typing and Cross-Matching.
55. Transfusion Monitoring.
Section VIII: ("Other"?) Monitoring Techniques.
56. Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring.
57. Intracranial Pressure Monitoring.
Section IX: Special Nursing Considerations.
58. Care of Indwelling Device Insertion Sites.
59. Care of the Brain Injured Patient.
60. Care of the Immobile Patient (?).
61. Specialized Care.
62. Aseptic Technique.
63. Minimizing Nosocomial Infection.
64. Handling Radioactive and Other Biohazardous Waste.