|Sommers, Christopher H. / Fan, Xuetong (eds.)|
Food Irradiation Research and Technology
Institute of Food Technologists Series
2. Edition October 2012
2012. 472 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-8138-0209-1 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Now in a fully updated second edition, this volume presents the latest scientific findings on food irradiation. It reviews the principles of irradiation, current technologies, regulatory and safety issues, and recent advances in the irradiation of produce, as well as meat, poultry, and seafood. Completely new material in this edition includes new research on the effect of irradiation on the chemistry and toxicology of irradiated foods, a new chapter on FDA, issues involving produce packaging, and applications of irradiation as a phytosanitary measure and in the decontamination of RTE foods and food safety.
From the contents
1. Introduction: Food Irradiation Moving Forward.
2. Advances in Gamma Ray, Electron Beam, and X-Ray Technologies for Food Irradiation.
3. Regulation of Irradiated Foods and Packaging: An FDA Perspective.
4. Toxicological Safety of Irradiated Foods.
5. Generation of Furan and Trans-Fats by Irradiation and Thermal Processing.
6. Consumer Acceptance and Marketing of Irradiated Foods.
7. Detection of Irradiated Foods.
8. Dosimetry for Food Processing and Research Applications.
9. Irradiation of Meat.
10. Irradiation of Ready-to-Eat Meats.
11. Irradiation of Produce.
12. Irradiation as a Phytosanitary Treatment for Fresh Horticultural Commodities.
13. New Applications for Irradiation for Phytosanitary Purposes.
14. Irradiation of Packaging Materials.
15. Irradiation of Seafood.
16. A Future Uncertain: Food Irradiation from a Legal Perspective.
17. Irradiation for Food Security.
18. Future Research Needs