|Economou, Nick / Ghazarian, Zareh|
Australian Politics For Dummies
ca. 32.90 Euro
2013. 384 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-1-74216-982-8 - John Wiley & Sons
Created especially for the Australian customer!
Understand the Australian political system and make your vote count
Get to grips with the good, the bad and the ugly of Australian politics! Whether you're a seasoned political punter or a voting novice, this is your essential guide to understanding politics in Australia. Master the ins and outs of elections, parties and policies, and learn to discuss the big issues in no time. You have to vote -- now learn whyand how.
* Decipher political terminology -- clear explanations of the houses of parliament, voting systems and more
* Learn how Australia's political system evolved -- how Westminster and Washington were combined to produce 'Washminster'
* Appreciate parliamentary roles -- what the Whips do and just what the Usher of the Black Rod is
* Find out who holds the purse strings -- how federal and state governments work out who pays for what
* Understand how political parties work -- the differences between Labor and Liberal, and what coalition politics is
* Discover what's meant by the balance of power -- how minor parties and independents contribute to politics
* Determine how your vote is counted -- the difference between preferential voting and proportional representation
* Work out the media's role -- how the media reports, interprets and sways political outcomes
Open the book and find:
* Key points about past and current political hot topics
* Explanations of the Australian Constitution, including the crisis of 1975
* Plans of the houses of parliament so you know who sits where
* Analysis of how the major Australian political parties came about
* A concise description of the electoral pendulum
* Graphic descriptions of the different ballot papers
* A comprehensive glossary of political terms and jargon
* Identify what makes the Australianpolitical system tick
* Distinguish between the differentpolitical parties
* Understand the influence of the media in Australian politics
* Cast your vote with confidence
From the contents
Part I: Politics: You're in It.
Chapter 1: Australian Politics: The Basics.
Chapter 2: Hot Topics in Australia: The Political Debate.
Part II: The Australian System of Government.
Chapter 3: One Country, Many Rulebooks.
Chapter 4: Westminster: Much More than Big Ben.
Chapter 5: Washminster: The Australian Hybrid.
Chapter 6: Parliament: The House on the Hill.
Chapter 7: Governing the Great Southern Land.
Part III: Party Time!
Chapter 8: Parties, Parliament and Politics.
Chapter 9: The Australian Labor Party.
Chapter 10: The Liberal Party.
Chapter 11: The National Party.
Chapter 12: The Minor Parties and Independents.
Part IV: Citizen Power!
Chapter 13: Elections: A Festival of Democracy.
Chapter 14: Let the Campaign Begin!
Chapter 15: The Fourth Estate: The Media.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 16: Ten Politicians Who Made an Impact.
Chapter 17: Ten Speeches Worth Listening to Again.
Chapter 18: Ten Acts of Political Bastardry in Australia.