A Global History
Themes in History
1. Edition September 2008
2008. 232 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-0-7456-3187-5 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Hardcover.
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
In virtually all the countries of the world, men, and to a lesser extent women, are today dressed in very similar clothing. This book gives a compelling account and analysis of the process by which this has come about. At the same time it takes seriously those places where, for whatever reason, this process has not occurred, or has been reversed, and provides explanations for these developments.
From the contents
2. The Rules of Dress.
3. Redressing the Old World.
4. First Colonialisms.
5. The Production, care and distribution of clothing.
6. The Export of Europe.
7. Reclothed in Rightful Minds: Christian missions and clothing.
8. Re-forming the body: reforming the mind.
9. The Clothing of Colonial Nationalism.
10. The Emancipation of Dress.
11. Engendered Acceptance and Rejection.