This is Environmental Ethics: An Introduction
This is Philosophy
1. Auflage September 2022
336 Seiten, Softcover
Preis: 30,90 €
Preis inkl. MwSt, zzgl. Versand
Provides students and scholars with a comprehensive introduction to the growing field of environmental philosophy and ethics
Mitigating the effects of climate change will require global cooperation and lasting commitment. Of the many disciplines addressing the ecological crisis, philosophy is perhaps best suited to develop the conceptual foundations of a viable and sustainable environmental ethic. This is Environmental Ethics provides an expansive overview of the key theories underpinning contemporary discussions of our moral responsibilities to non-human nature and living creatures.
Adopting a critical approach, author Wendy Lynne Lee closely examines major moral theories to discern which ethic provides the compass needed to navigate the social, political, and economic challenges of potentially catastrophic environmental transformation, not only, but especially the climate crisis. Lee argues that the ethic ultimately adopted must make the welfare of non-human animals and plant life a priority in our moral decision-making, recognizing that ecological conditions form the existential conditions of all life on the planet. Throughout the text, detailed yet accessible chapters demonstrate why philosophy is relevant and useful in the face of an uncertain environmental future.
* Questions which environmental theory might best address the environmental challenges of climate change and the potential for recurring pandemic
* Discusses how inequalities of race, sex, gender, economic status, geography, and species impact our understanding of environmental dilemmas
* Explores the role of moral principles in making decisions to resolve real-world dilemmas
* Incorporates extensive critiques of moral extensionist and ecocentric arguments
* Introduces cutting-edge work done by radical "deep green" writers, animal rights theorists, eco-phenomenologists, and ecofeminists
This is Environmental Ethics is essential reading for undergraduate students in courses on philosophy, geography, environmental studies, feminist theory, ecology, human and animal rights, and social justice, as well as an excellent graduate-level introduction to the key theories and thinkers of environmental philosophy.