The Emotionally Abusive Relationship
How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing
2. Auflage Juli 2023
272 Seiten, Softcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Preis: 26,90 €
Preis inkl. MwSt, zzgl. Versand
A step-by-step guide to help both victims of emotional abuse and their abusers escape unhealthy patterns originating from childhood abuse and neglect
In the second edition of The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing, internationally recognized therapist Beverly Engel walks readers through a proven program designed to help readers get to the core of their unhealthy behavior patterns.
This book was written specifically for two types of couples--those who mutually abuse each other and those with abusive partners who are willing to honestly look at themselves to and make the necessary changes to stop abusing. Unique among books of this type, Engel focuses on both the abused person and the abuser, offering non-judgmental advice to both groups. She offers effective strategies, techniques, and information to end abusive behaviors, including:
* Why some people are attracted to abusive people and vice versa
* Patterns created from childhood neglect and abuse and how to break them
* Determining if you or your partner suffers from a personality disorder such as Narcissism or Borderline Personality Disorder
* How to decide whether to continue the relationship or end it
* The importance of healing shame caused by childhood neglect and abuse
* How self-compassion can help heal both victims of emotional abuse and the abusers themselves
The Emotionally Abusive Relationship is essential for those involved in unhealthy relationships or who have loved ones trapped in an emotionally abusive situation. Therapist recommended, this book is also a must-read resource for students of psychotherapy.
Part One Identifying and Understanding Emotional Abuse
1. Emotional Abuse--The Destroyer of Relationships
2. Patterns of Abuse
3. Not All Emotionally Abusive Relationships Are Alike
Part Two: Healing Your Childhood and Your Unhealthy Patterns
4. Patterns That Begin in Childhood: Why We Abuse and Why We Take It
5. Completing Your Unfinished Business (For Both Victims and Abusers)
6. Healing Your Shame through Self-Compassion
Part Three: Stopping the Abuse
7. Action Steps for those Being Abused
8. Actions Steps for the Abusive Partner
9 Action Steps for the Abusive Couple
10 When Your Partner Has a Personality Disorder
11 When Your Abusiveness Stems from Your Personality Disorder
Part Four: Where Do You Go from Here?
12 Should You Stay or Should You Leave?
13 Preventing Emotional Abuse in the Future
14 Continuing to Recover
Further Reading Index
--Darlene Lancer, LMFT, author of Dating, Loving, and Leaving a Narcissist
"Beverly Engel provides fresh insights in the new, second edition of The Emotionally Abusive Relationship. The book compassionately considers both parties entwined in their reciprocal double helix of pain. In illuminating the significance of shame in both the abuser and the abused, Engel reveals pathways for clearer recognition and, ultimately, healing for those caught in the web of emotional abuse."
--Jerold J. Kreisman, M.D., author of Sometimes I Act Crazy and I Hate You--Don't Leave Me
"Beverly Engel's humility, clinical sensitivity, grace, and her expertise in her written works are just the tools that everyone needs to help with healing from emotional abuse. Beverly graciously writes about emotional abuse in a way that's relatable, resonates, and is easy to understand for anyone going through it. Her work exudes compassion, and she is able to describe abuse dynamics without disparaging anyone. She genuinely and unselfishly is motivated to help everyone heal and holds our hands to walk us through the recovery journey. I applaud her kindness and generosity."
--Dr. Natalie Jones, PsyD, LPCC (r)