Reactive Oxygen, Nitrogen and Sulfur Species in Plants
Production, Metabolism, Signaling and Defense Mechanisms
1. Edition August 2019
1024 Pages, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Presents a multidisciplinary analysis of the integration among reactive oxygen species (ROS), reactive nitrogen species (RNS), and reactive sulfur species (RSS).
Since plants are the main source of our food, the improvement of their productivity is the most important task for plant biologists. In this book, leading experts accumulate the recent development in the research on oxidative stress and approaches to enhance antioxidant defense system in crop plants. They discuss both the plant responses to oxidative stress and mechanisms of abiotic stress tolerance, and cover all of the recent approaches towards understanding oxidative stress in plants, providing comprehensive information about the topics. It also discusses how reactive nitrogen species and reactive sulfur species regulate plant physiology and plant tolerance to environmental stresses.
Reactive Oxygen, Nitrogen and Sulfur Species in Plants: Production, Metabolism, Signaling and Defense Mechanisms covers everything readers need to know in four comprehensive sections. It starts by looking at reactive oxygen species metabolism and antioxidant defense. Next, it covers reactive nitrogen species metabolism and signaling before going on to reactive sulfur species metabolism and signaling. The book finishes with a section that looks at crosstalk among reactive oxygen, nitrogen, and sulfur species based on current research done by experts.
* Presents the newest method for understanding oxidative stress in plants.
* Covers both the plant responses to oxidative stress and mechanisms of abiotic stress tolerance
* Details the integration among reactive oxygen species (ROS), reactive nitrogen species (RNS) and reactive sulfur species (RSS)
* Written by 140 experts in the field of plant stress physiology, crop improvement, and genetic engineering
Providing a comprehensive collection of up-to-date knowledge spanning from biosynthesis and metabolism to signaling pathways implicated in the involvement of RONSS to plant defense mechanisms, Reactive Oxygen, Nitrogen and Sulfur Species in Plants: Production, Metabolism, Signaling and Defense Mechanisms is an excellent book for plant breeders, molecular biologists, and plant physiologists, as well as a guide for students in the field of Plant Science.
Section I Reactive oxygen species metabolism and antioxidant defense
1. Regulated Suicide for Survival: Towards Programmed Cell Death during Reactive Species Mediated-Oxidative Stress of Plant Cells
2. Iron and its catalytic properties on radical generation: Role of chelators on the Labile Iron Pool (LIP)
Elizabeth Robello, Andrea Galatro, Susana Puntarulo
3. Superoxide Dismutases (SODs) and their Role in Regulating Abiotic Stress induced Oxidative Stress in Plants
Panchanand Mishra and Pallavi Sharma
4. The Role of Ascorbate-Glutathione Pathway in Reactive Oxygen Species Balance under Abiotic Stresses
Liudmyla O. Sakhno, Alla I. Yemets, and Yaroslav B. Blume
5. Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense under combined waterlogging and salinity stresses
Savita Duhan, Anita Kumari, Manohar Lal and Sunita Sheokand
6. Role of Polyamines in Protecting Plants from Oxidative Stress
Pooja, Vinod Goyal, Sarita Devi and Renu Munjal
7. Role of Glutathione in Plant Abiotic Stress Tolerance
Aditya Banerjee, Aryadeep Roychoudhury
8. Molecular approaches in enhancing antioxidant defence in plants
Kanika Khanna, Neha Handa, Poonam Yadav, Vandana Gautam, Vinod Kumar, Puja Ohri, Renu Bhardwaj
9. Omics in oxidative stress tolerance in crops
Ceyhun kayihan, Füsun Eyidoan
10. Role of reactive oxygen species signaling in plant growth and development
Neveen B. Talaat
11. Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Defense in Germinating Seeds: A Q&A Session
Andrea Pagano, Chiara Forti, Carla Gualtieri, Alma Balestrazzi, Anca Macovei
12. Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense in plants under salinity
Caparrós, Mirza Hasanuzzaman, and María Teresa Lao
13. ROS modulation in crop plants under drought stress
Giti Verma, Dipali Srivastava, Poonam Tiwari, and Debasis Chakrabarty
14. Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Defense in Plants under High Temperature
Pooja and Renu Munjal
15. Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense in plants exposed to metal/metalloid toxicity
Muhammad Arif Ali, Shah Fahad, Idrees Haider, Niaz Ahmed, Shakeel Ahmad, Sajjad Hussain, Muhammad Arshad
16. Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Defense in Plants Exposed To Ultraviolet Radiation
Jainendra Pathak, Rajneesh, Haseen Ahmed, Deepak K. Singh, Prashant R. Singh, Deepak Kumar, Vinod K. Kannaujiya, Shailendra P. Singh and Rajeshwar P. Sinha
17. Methods/protocols for determination of oxidative stress in crop plants
Venkidasamy Baskar, Mahima Karthikeyan and Sathishkumar Ramalingam
18. Does seed priming play a role in regulating reactive oxygen species under saline conditions?
Mohamed Magdy F. Mansour, Esmat Farouk Ali, Karima Hamid A. Salama
19. Computer-assisted image analysis of the distribution and intensity of reactive oxygen species accumulation in plant leaves
Joanna Sekulska-Nalewajko, JarosBaw GocBawski, El|bieta Kuzniak
Section-II: Reactive nitrogen species metabolism and signalling
20. Role of nitric oxide in physiological and stress responses of plants under darkness
Péter Poór, Zalán Czékus, Attila Ördög
21. Nitric oxide and phytohormones cross-talk during abiotic stresses responses in plants
Tariq Shah, Sumbal Wahid, Muhammad Ilyas, Mirza Hasanuzzaman
22. The role of nitric oxide in the antioxidant defense of plants exposed to UV-B radiation
Raúl Cassia, Melina Amenta, María Belén Fernández, Macarena Nocioni, and Valeria Dávila
23. Reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide production, regulation and function during defence response
Eliana Molina-Moya, Laura C. Terrón-Camero, Leyre Pescador-Azofra, Luisa M. Sandalio, María C. Romero-Puertas
24. Role of nitric oxide in growth regulation and re-orientation of pollen tubes
Tariq Shah, Mehmood Ali Noor and Mirza Hasanuzzaman
25. Nitric oxide (NO)-Mediated Plant Stress Signaling
L.V. Dubovskaya and Y.S. Bakakina
26. S-nitrosoglutathione (GSNO) and plant stress responses
Anjali Khajuria, Shagun Bali, Priyanka Sharma, Ravinderjit Kaur, Shivam Jasrotia, Poonam Saini, Puja Ohri and Renu Bhardwaj
Section-III: Reactive sulfur species metabolism and signaling
27. Hydrogen sulfide in guard cell signaling
28. Hydrogen sulfide: a new gasotransmitter in plant defenses
Yanjie Zhang, Yanxi Pei, and Guangdong Yang
29. Interplay between Hydrogen Sulfide and Calcium Signaling in Plant Abiotic Stress Response and Adaptation
30. Reactive Sulfur species-Key regulators of abiotic stress tolerance in plants
Fahim Nawaz, Sadia Majeed, Khawaja Shafique Ahmad, Muhammad Aqib, Muhammad Asif Shehzad, Muhammad Aurangzaib and Muhammad Shahbaz
31. Reactive Sulfur Species: A new player in plant physiology?
Martin Clemens Gruhlke
32. Role of reactive sulfur species in the oxidative metabolism in plants
Muhammad Ija, Qasim Ali, Shah Fahad, Sana Ashraf, Muhammad Shahid and Shakeel Ahmad
33. Hydrogen Sulfide in Plant Abiotic Stress Tolerance: Progress and Perspectives
Parankusam Santisree, Srivani S Adimulam, Pradeepreddy Bommineni, Pooja Bhatnagar-Mathur and Kiran K. Sharma
Section-IV: Crosstalk among reactive oxygen, nitrogen and sulfur species
34. Reactive oxygen species, reactive nitrogen species and oxidative metabolism under waterlogging stress
Manohar Lal, Anita Kumari, Pooja Dhansu and Sunita Sheokand
35. Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species in Stress-Induced Programmed Death of Plant Cultured Cells
Massimo Malerba, and Raffaella Cerana
36. Finding a Place for NO in Everyday Plant Life
Svetlana Batasheva, Farit Abdrakhimov, Guzel Akhtyamova, Larisa Khamidullina, Vladimir Chikov
37. H2O2, NO and H2S: Tailoring in suiting plants against abiotic stresses
Cristiane J. da-Silva, Ana Claudia Rodrigues, Luzia V. Modolo
38. Cross talk among reactive oxygen, nitrogen and sulfur during abiotic stress in plants
Parminder Kaur, Neha Handa, Vinod Verma, Palak Bakshi, Rashami Kalia, Shelja Sareen, Avinash Nagpal, Adarsh Pal Vig, Bilal Ahmad Mir and Renu Bhardwaj
39. Emerging technologies for enhancing ROS/RNS homeostasis
AllAlla I. Yemets, Yuriy V. Karpets, Yuriy E. Kolupaev, and Yaroslav B. Blume
40. Compartmentalization of reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide production in plant cells
Martina Janko, Tereza Tichá, Lenka Luhová, Marek PetYivalsk?
Mirza Hasanuzzaman, is Professor in the Department of Agronomy, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Vasileios Fotopoulos, is Assistant Professor in the Department of Agricultural Sciences, Biotechnology & Food Science, Cyprus University of Technology, Lemesos, Cyprus.
Kamrun Nahar, is Associate Professor in the Department of Agricultural Botany, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Masayuki Fujita, is Professor at the Laboratory of Plant Stress Responses, Faculty of Agriculture, Kagawa University, Japan.