Biopolymer-Based Food Packaging
Innovations and Technology Applications
1. Edition April 2022
512 Pages, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Innovations in Biopolymer based Food Packaging Technology will serve as the starting point for anyone looking to apply biopolymers in food packaging. This comprehensive reference book is envisioned to assist the academic community, i.e. teachers, researchers, scholars, and students studying / teaching / doing research in the area of application of biopolymers as an emerging alternative to traditional food packaging materials. It is expected to enrich knowledge and to act as a tool for further developments in this area of emerging importance in the era of global concerns in synthetic plastics used in food packaging.
Price: 189,00 €
Price incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
Biopolymer-Based Food Packaging
Explore the latest developments and advancements in biopolymer-based food packaging
In Biopolymer-Based Food Packaging: Innovations and Technology Applications, a team of accomplished researchers delivers a complete, systematic, and sequential account of the contemporary developments in the application of biopolymers for sustainable food packaging. This book introduces the fabrication, characterization as well as benefits arising from the enhanced functionalities of biopolymer-based food packaging materials.
The authors introduce various polysaccharide, protein, and microbial polymer-based food packaging films and coatings, as well as biopolymer-based blends and nanocomposites. Importance of these materials as active and intelligent food packaging systems is also introduced. Finally, the book explores biopolymer-based edible food packaging, and its efficacy in extending the shelf-life of perishable food items using sustainable materials and processes suitable for the future of circular economies around the world.
Readers will also find:
* A thorough introduction to the incorporation of nanomaterials as fillers to improve the physico-chemical, mechanical, thermal, barrier, optical, and antimicrobial properties of food packaging nanocomposites
* Comprehensive discussions of the use of plant-based bioactive compounds, including essential oils, in biopolymer-based food packaging
* Practical examinations of silver and zinc oxide nanoparticles in food packaging
* In-depth treatments of polylactic acid-based composites for food packaging applications
Biopolymer-Based Food Packaging: Innovations and Technology Applications is an invaluable resource for academic researchers and professionals in food packaging and related industries, as well as research scholars, graduate students, and entrepreneurs working and studying in the field of food preservation, environmental safety, and human health with a focus on the sustainable future.
1. An Overview of Natural Biopolymers in Food Packaging
2. Biopolymers: The Chemistry of Food and Packaging
3. Technologies for Biopolymer-Based Films and Coatings
4. Chitosan-Based Films and Coatings
5. Starch-Based Edible Films and Coatings
6. Protein-Based Films and Coatings
7. Microbial Polysaccharides (MPs) in Food Packaging
8. Polylactic Acid (PLA)-Based Composites in Food Packaging
9. Antimicrobial Agents in Films and Coatings
10. Nanomaterials in Food Packaging System
11. Silver and Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles in Films and Coatings
12. Plant-Based Active Compounds in Food Packaging
13. Essential Oils in Active Films and Coatings
14. Edible Films and Coatings
Avik Mukherjee, Central Institute of Technology Kokrajhar, Kokrajhar, India.
Joydeep Dutta, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.