|Yadav, Shyam Singh / Redden, Robert / Hatfield, Jerry L. / Lotze-Campen, Hermann / Hall, Anthony|
Crop Adaptation to Climate Change
1. Edition October 2011
2011. 632 Pages, Hardcover
ISBN 978-0-8138-2016-3 - John Wiley & Sons
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
A major task of our time is to ensure adequate food supplies for the world's current population (now nearing 7 billion) in a sustainable way while protecting the vital functions and biological diversity of the global environment. The task of providing for a growing population is likely to be even more difficult in view of actual and potential changes in climatic conditions due to global warming, and as the population continues to grow. Current projections suggest that the world's temperatures will rise 1.8-4.0 by 2100 and population may reach 8 billion by the year 2025 and some 9 billion by mid-century, after which it may stabilize. This book addresses these critical issues by presenting the science needed not only to understand climate change effects on crops but also to adapt current agricultural systems, particularly in regard to genetics, to the changing conditions.
Crop Adaptation to Climate Change covers a spectrum of issues related to both crops and climatic conditions. The first two sections provide a foundation on the factors involved in climate stress, assessing current climate change by region and covering crop physiological responses to these changes. The third and final section contains chapters focused on specific crops and the current research to improve their genetic adaptation to climate change.
Written by an international team of authors, Crop Adaptation to Climate Change is a timely look at the potentially serious consequences of climate change for our global food supply, and is an essential resource for academics, researchers and professionals in the fields of crop science, agronomy, plant physiology and molecular biology; crop consultants and breeders; as well as climate and food scientists.
From the contents
List of Contributors.
List of Editors.
About the Editors.
Foreword (Daniel Hillel and Cynthia Rosenzweig).
Foreword (M.S. Swaminathan).
Foreword (Martin Parry).
Foreword (Ahmed Djoghlaf).
Foreword (Cary Fowler).
Foreword (David K. Skelly).
Foreword (Walter P. Falcon).
1.1 Climate Change, Population Growth and Crop Production: An Overview (Hermann Lotze-Campen).
1.2 Modelling Regional Effects of Climate Change on Wheat Crop Production in Victoria, Australia (Garry O'Leary, Brendan Christy, Anna Weeks, James Nuttall, Penny Riffkin, Craig Beverly and Glenn Fitzgerald).
2. Agroecology: Implications for Plant Response to Climate Change (Jerry L. Hatfield and John H. Prueger).
3.1 Impacts of Climate Change on Crop Production in Latin America (Andy Jarvis, Julian Ramirez, Osana Bonilla-Findji, Emmanuel Zapata).
3.2 Changing Climate in North America: Implications for Crops (Jerry L. Hatfield).
3.3 Regional Impacts of Climate Change: Africa (Ranjana Bhattacharjee, Bonny R Ntare, Emmanuel Otoo, and Pius Z. Yanda).
3.4 Regional Impacts: Europe (Hermann Lotze-Campen).
3.5 Climate Change Impacts and Adaptations in the Countries of the Former Soviet Union (Andrei Kirilenko and Nikolay Dronin).
3.6 Climate Change Impact in Agriculture: Vulnerability and Adaptation Concerns of Semi Arid Tropics in Asia (Naveen P. Singh, MCS Bantilan and A Ashok Kumar, P. Janila and Abu Wali Raghib Hassan).
3.7 Climate Change Impacts in Japan and Southeast Asia: Implications for Crop Adaptation (S.V.R.K. Prabhakar).
3.8 Regional Impacts: Australia (S.M. Howden and S.J. Crimp).
4. Synthesis of Regional Impacts and Global Agricultural Adjustments (Neil C. Turner and Rolf Meyer).
5.1 Impacts of High-Temperature Stress and Potential Opportunities for Breeding (R.P. Singh, P.V.V. Prasad, A.K. Sharma, K.R. Reddy).
5.2 Whole Plant Response to Drought under Climate Change (Vincent Vadez, Jana Kholova, Sunita Choudhary, Paul Zindy, Médulline Terrier, L. Krishnamurthy, P. Ratna Kumar, Neil C. Turner).
6. Plant Responses to Increased Carbon Dioxide (S. Seneweera and R.M. Norton).
7. Genetics Options for Improving the Productivity of Wheat in Water-Limited and Temperature Stressed Environments (R. M. Trethowan and T. Mahmood).
8. Genetic Adjustment to Changing Climates: Pea (Clarice J. Coyne, Rebecca J. McGee, Robert J. Redden, Mike J. Ambrose, Bonnie J. Furman, Carol A. Miles).
9. Genetic Adjustment to Changing Climates: Chickpea (M. Imtiaz, R.S. Malhotra, and Shyam. S. Yadav).
10. Genetic Adjustment to Changing Climates: Vicia faba (Gérard Duc, Wolfgang Link, Pascal Marget, F.L. Stoddard, Ana MariaTorres, J.I. Cubero).
11. Adaptation of the Potato Crop to Changing Climates (Roland Schafleitner, Julian Ramirez, Andy Jarvis, Daniele Evers, Raymundo Gutierrez and Mariah Scurrah).
12. Genetic Adjustment to Changing Climates: RICE (T. Lafarge, S.Peng, T. Hasegawa,W.P. Quick, S.V.K. Jagadish, R. Wassmann).
13. Genetic Adjustment to Changing Climates: MAIZE (Mark E. Westgate and Jerry L. Hatfield).
14. Sorghum Genetic Enhancement for Climate Change Adaptation (Belum V. S. Reddy, A Ashok Kumar, S. Ramesh1 and P. Sanjana Reddy).
15. Breeding Cowpea for Future Climates (Anthony E. Hall).
16. Genetic Improvement of Common beans and the Challenges of Climate Change (S. Beebe, J. Ramirez, A. Jarvis, I.M. Rao, G. Mosquera, J.M. Bueno, M.W. Blair).
17. Improving Soybean Cultivars for Adaptation to Climate Change and Climate Variability (Boote, K.J.).
18. Genetic Adjustment to Changing Climates: Vegetables (de la Peña R.C., Ebert A.W., Gniffke P., Hanson P. & Symonds R.C.).
19. Adaptation of Cassava to Changing Climates (Hernán Ceballos, Julian Ramirez, Anthony C. Bellotti, Andy Jarvis, and E. Alvarez).
20. Changing Climates: Effects on Growing Conditions for Banana and Plantain (Musa spp.) and Possible Responses (Julián Ramírez, Andy Jarvis, Inge Van den Bergh, Charles Staver and David Turner).
21. Genetic Adjustment to Changing Climates: Sugarcane (Geoff Inman-Bamber, Phillip Jackson and Maryse Bourgault).
22. Breeding Oilseed Brassica for Climate Change (P.A. Salisbury and M.J. Barbetti).
23. The Genetic Envelope of Wine Grapevines: Potential for Adaptation to Future Climate Challenges (Leanne B. Webb, Peter R. Clingeleffer and Stephen D. Tyerman).
24. The Potential of Climate Change Adjustment in crops: A Synthesis (Redden R. Shyam, S. Yadav, Surinder Vasal, Boddupalli M. Prasanna, Jerry L. Hatfield).
25. Crop Germplasm Diversity - the Role of Gene Bank Collections in Facilitating Adaptation to Climate Change (Laura K. Snook, M. Ehsan Dulloo, Andy Jarvis, Xavier Scheldeman, Margaret Kneller).
26. Underutilized species and Climate Change - Current Status and Outlook (Padulosi S., V. Heywood, D. Hunter and A. Jarvis).
27. Wild Relative and Transgenic Innovation for Enhancing Crop Adaptation to Warmer and Drier Climate (Gang-Ping Xue and C. Lynne McIntyre).
28. Energy Crops to Combat Climate Change (Abdullah A. Jaradat).
29. Research from the Past to the Future (EC (Ted) Wolfe).