The Religious Film
Christianity and the Hagiopic
New Approaches to Film Genre
1. Edition March 2009
2009. 192 Pages, Softcover
ISBN 978-1-4051-6026-1 - John Wiley & Sons
Also available as Hardcover.
E-Books are also available on all known E-Book shops.
Religious Film is a welcome introduction to this complex and iconic genre of film. Pamela Grace provides historical, cultural and critical background for religious films from the silent era through today, and explores the genre in its many guises -- as spectacle, as musical, and as controversy. From The Gospel According to Matthew to Jesus Christ Superstar, from The Passion of Joan of Arc to The Last Temptation of Christ and Jesus of Montreal, Religious Film captures the glory, gore, and centrality of this important genre.
From the contents
List of Figures.
1. Introduction: The Religious Film and the Hagiopic.
2. Historical Overview.
3. Critical Overview.
4. King of Kings (1961): Spectacle and Anti-Spectacle.
5. The Song of Bernadette (1943): The Religious Comfort Film.
6. Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) and Jesus Christ Superstar (2000): The Religious Musical.
7. The Gospel According to Matthew (1964) and Jesus of Montreal (1989): The Alternative Hagiopic.
8. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999): Transcendence and Exploitation.
9. The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) and The Passion of the Christ (2004): The Sacrificial Hagiopic.