Detailed description This volume provides a superb introduction to the philosophical, social, and political elements of Hispanic/Latino identity. It is an indispensable tool for anyone interested in issues that concern Hispanics/Latinos, social policy, and the history of thought and culture.
From the contents Preface.
1. What Should We Call Ourselves?.
2. What's in a Name? The Relation of Names to Identity and Ethnicity.
3. What Makes Us Who We Are? The Key to Our Unity and Diversity.
4. An Illustration: Hispanic Philosophy.
5. Where Do We Come From? Encounters, Inventions, and Mestizaje.
6. The Search for Identity: Latin-America and Its Philosophy.
7. Foreigners in Our Own Land: Hispanics in American Philosophy.