The Classic Readings
Philosophy: The Classic Readings
2. Auflage April 2019
320 Seiten, Softcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Preis: 27,90 €
Preis inkl. MwSt, zzgl. Versand
An innovative anthology presenting a broad view of the history of aesthetics from the classical to modern eras The newly expanded and revised edition of this bestselling anthology features a comprehensive collection of classic writings on aesthetics.
* Includes texts by canonical philosophers like Plato and Kant alongside essays from art critics like Clive Bell, with new readings from Leonardo da Vinci, Oscar Wilde, Walter Pater, Ronald W. Hepburn, and Arthur C. Danto among others
* Broadens the scope of aesthetics beyond the Western tradition, including important texts by Asian philosophers from Mo Tzu to Tanizaki
* Includes an introduction to aesthetics written by the editor as well as prefaces to each text and detailed lists of further reading
* Topics discussed range from the nature of beauty and the criteria of aesthetic judgement to the value of art and appreciation of nature
1. Plato, The Republic, Book 10
2. Aristotle, Poetics, Chs 1-15
3. (A) Mo Tzu, 'Against music'
(B) Hsun Tzu, 'A discussion of music'
4. Plotinus, Enneads, I.6
5. (A) Leon Battista Alberti, On Painting, from Books II-III
(B) Leonardo da Vinci, Notebooks (Selections)
6. Shih-t'ao, Quotes on Painting
7. David Hume, 'Of the standard of taste'
8. Immanuel Kant, 'Critique of aesthetic judgement', §§ 1-14, 16, 23-4, 28
9. Friedrich Schiller, On the Aesthetic Education of Man, Letters 26-7
10. G. W. F. Hegel, Introduction to Aesthetics, Chs 1-3
11. Arthur Schopenhauer, The World as Will and Representation, Vol. I, § 52
12. (A) Walter Pater, The Renaissance, from Preface and Conclusion
(B) Oscar Wilde, 'The Decay of Lying' (Selections)
13. Leo Tolstoy, 'On art'
14. Clive Bell, 'The aesthetic hypothesis'
15. A. K. Coomaraswamy, The Dance of Ziva, Essays 3-4
16. JunichirM Tanizaki, In Praise of Shadows (Selections)
17. John Dewey, Art as Experience, Chs 1-2
18. Martin Heidegger, 'The origin of the work of art'
19. R. G. Collingwood, The Principles of Art, Ch. 7
20. Ronald W. Hepburn, 'Aesthetic appreciation of nature'
21. Arthur C. Danto, 'The Artworld'