Prevention and Management of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease
Diet, Physical Activity and Healthy Aging
1. Auflage Juni 2023
416 Seiten, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Preis: 142,00 €
Preis inkl. MwSt, zzgl. Versand
Provides essential knowledge on lifestyle medicine as an intervention for healthy aging and the prevention and management of cardiometabolic diseases
Prevention and Management of Cardiometabolic Disease covers the interface between lifestyle medicine, healthy aging, and cardiometabolic health. This authoritative textbook examines the impact of cardiorespiratory fitness, exercise, or increased physical activity on human health and disease, as well as the combined role of increased fitness and medications in the management of chronic disease. It provides also valuable information about the role of diet and nutrition on the prevention and management of cardiometabolic diseases and healthy aging.
Logically structured chapters introduce a specific chronic disease, describe its pathophysiology and mechanisms, present exercise and dietary interventions and strategies for every condition, and more.
This book also:
* Highlights the role of lifestyle medicine in favorable health outcomes, including cardiometabolic health, healthy aging, and improved quality of life
* Presents all relevant aspects of diabetes mellitus, hypertension, heart disease, cancer, kidney failure, obesity, dyslipidemia, and other conditions
* Discusses the implications and health benefits of physical activity in adults
* Provides the latest data in lowering the risk of non-communicable diseases (such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease), and longevity.
Prevention and Management of Cardiometabolic Disease: Physical Activity, Fitness, and Healthy Aging is an excellent textbook for upper-level undergraduate and graduate students who studied subjects such as: Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Exercise Epidemiology, Nutrition, Physical Education, and Allied Health Sciences. This book is also a highly useful reference for health professionals interested in introducing lifestyle medicine as an intervention for healthy aging and the prevention and management of cardiometabolic diseases.
1. The link between suboptimal diet and physical inactivity with non-communicable diseases
2. Lifestyle and epigenetics
3. Healthy/Prudent diets and health benefits in adults.
Unit 2: Basic concepts of physical activity and fitness
4. Definition of fitness and its components
5. Defining physical activity and exercise
6. Implications and health benefits of physical activity in adults
Unit 3: Determinants of healthy aging
7. Healthy aging. Definition and scope
8. The Interface Between Healthy Aging, Longevity and Disease
9. Physiological changes in multiple organ systems through aging. Measuring and monitoring aging.
10. The role of plant based diets on healthy aging
11. Physical activityas a determinant of healthyaging
Unit 4: Cardiovascular health, diet and physical activity
12. Heart failure, Physical Activity and Diet
13. Atrial/Flutter Fibrillation, Physical Activity and Diet
14. Endothelial Function, Physical Activity and Diet
Unit 5: Cardiometabolic Health, diet and physical activity
15. Diabetes Mellitus
18. Obesity - Metabolic Syndrome
19. Obstructive Sleep Apnea
20. Chronic Kidney Disease
Christina Katsagoni, PhD, Clinical Dietitian, Agia Sofia Children's Hospital, Athens, Greece;
Research Associate, Department of Nutrition & Dietetics, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece.
Labros Sidossis, PhD, Professor and Chair,
Department of Kinesiology and Health, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA.