Companion to Motion Pictures and Public Value
1. Auflage Februar 2022
648 Seiten, Hardcover
Preis: 165,00 €
Preis inkl. MwSt, zzgl. Versand
A singular collection of original essays exploring the varied intersections of motion pictures and public value
A Companion to Motion Pictures and Public Value presents a cross-disciplinary investigation of the past, present, and possible future contributions of the moving image to the public good. This unique volume explores the direct and indirect public value developed through motion pictures of different types, genres, and screening sites. Essays by world-renowned scholars from diverse disciplines present original conceptual work, philosophical arguments, historical discussion, empirical research, and specific case studies.
Divided into seven thematically organized sections, the Companion identifies the various kinds of values that motion pictures can deliver, amongst them artistic, ethical, environmental, cultural, political, cognitive, and spiritual value. Each section includes an introduction in which the editors outline main themes and highlight connections between individual chapters. Throughout the text, probing essays interrogate the issue of public value as it relates to the cinema and provide insight into how motion pictures play a positive role in human life and society. Featuring original research essays on a pioneering topic, this innovative reference text:
* Brings together work by expert authors in disciplines such as Philosophy, Political Science, Cultural Studies, Film Studies, Sociology, and Environmental Studies
* Discusses a variety of institutional landscapes, policy formations, and types and styles of filmmaking
* Provides wide and inclusive coverage of cinema's relation to public value in Africa, Asia, China, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas
* Explores the role of motion pictures in community formation, nation building, and the construction of good societies
* Covers new and emerging topics such as cinema-based fields focused on health and wellbeing
A Companion to Motion Pictures and Public Value is an ideal textbook for advanced undergraduate and graduate courses in Film, Media, and Cultural Studies, and is a valuable resource for scholars across a variety of disciplines
Ted Nannicelli is Senior Lecturer in Film and Television Studies, School of Communication and Arts, University of Queensland, Australia. He is the editor of Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind and author of Artistic Creation and Ethical Criticism.