Soil and Groundwater Remediation
Fundamentals, Practices, and Sustainability
1. Edition December 2019
512 Pages, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
An introduction to the principles and practices of soil and groundwater remediation
Soil and Groundwater Remediation offers a comprehensive and up-to-date review of the principles, practices, and concepts of sustainability of soil and groundwater remediation. The book starts with an overview of the importance of groundwater resource/quality, contaminant sources/types, and the scope of soil and groundwater remediation. It then provides the essential components of soil and groundwater remediation with easy-to-understand design equations/calculations and the practical applications.
The book contains information on remediation basics such as subsurface chemical behaviors, soil and groundwater hydrology and characterization, regulations, cost analysis, and risk assessment. The author explores various conventional and innovative remediation technologies, including pump-and-treat, soil vapor extraction, bioremediation, incineration, thermally enhanced techniques, soil washing/flushing, and permeable reactive barriers. The book also examines the modeling of groundwater flow and contaminant transport in saturated and unsaturated zones. This important book:
* Presents the current challenges of remediation practices
* Includes up-to-date information about the low-cost, risk-based, sustainable remediation practices, as well as institutional control and management
* Offers a balanced mix of the principles, practices, and sustainable concepts in soil and groundwater remediation
* Contains learning objectives, discussions of key theories, and example problems
* Provides illustrative case studies and recent research when remediation techniques are introduced
Written for undergraduate seniors and graduate students in natural resource, earth science, environmental science/engineering, and environmental management, Soil and Groundwater Remediation is an authoritative guide to the principles and components of soil and groundwater remediation that is filled with worked and practice problems.