Electromagnetic Technologies in Food Science
1. Edition January 2022
448 Pages, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Price: 182,00 €
Price incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
A comprehensive source of in-depth information provided on existing and emerging food technologies based on the electromagnetic spectrum
Electromagnetic Technologies in Food Science examines various methods employed in food applications that are based on the entire electromagnetic (EM) spectrum. Focusing on recent advances and challenges in food science and technology, this is an up-to-date volume that features vital contributions coming from an international panel of experts who have shared both fundamental and advanced knowledge of information on the dosimetry methods, and on potential applications of gamma irradiation, electron beams, X-rays, radio and microwaves, ultraviolet, visible, pulsed light, and more.
Organized into four parts, the text begins with an accessible overview of the physics of the electromagnetic spectrum, followed by discussion on the application of the EM spectrum to non-thermal food processing. The physics of infrared radiation, microwaves, and other advanced heating methods are then deliberated in detail--supported by case studies and examples that illustrate a range of both current and potential applications of EM-based methods. The concluding section of the book describes analytical techniques adopted for quality control, such as hyperspectral imaging, infrared and Raman spectroscopy. This authoritative book resource:
* Covers advanced theoretical knowledge and practical applications on the use of EM spectrum as novel methods in food processing technology
* Discusses the latest progress in developing quality control methods, thus enabling the control of continuous fast-speed processes
* Explores future challenges and benefits of employing electromagnetic spectrum in food technology applications
* Addresses emerging processing technologies related to improving safety, preservation, and overall quality of various food commodities
Electromagnetic Technologies in Food Science is an essential reading material for undergraduate and graduate students, researchers, academics, and agri-food professionals working in the area of food preservation, novel food processing techniques and sustainable food production.
1. Physics of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
3. Gamma Irradiation
4. Electron Beams
7. Visible Light
8. Pulsed Light
9. Infrared Radiation
12. Infrared Spectroscopy
13. Raman Spectroscopy
14. Visible Light Imaging
15. Hyperspectral Imaging
16. Future Challenges of Employing Electromagnetic Spectrum
Vicente M. Gómez-López is Professor and Senior Scientist at the Universidad Católica San Antonio de Murcia (UCAM), Murcia, Spain.
Rajeev Bhat is Professor and ERA-Chair Holder in Food By-products Valorization Technologies (VALORTECH) at the Estonian University of Life Sciences (EMÜ), Tartu, Estonia.