Power System Protection
Fundamentals and Applications
IEEE Press Series on Power Engineering
1. Edition January 2022
560 Pages, Hardcover
Wiley & Sons Ltd
Price: 139,00 €
Price incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
An all-in-one resource on power system protection fundamentals, practices, and applications
Made up of an assembly of electrical components, power system protections are a critical piece of the electric power system. Despite its central importance to the safe operation of the power grid, the information available on the topic is limited in scope and detail.
In Power System Protection: Fundamentals and Applications, a team of renowned engineers delivers an authoritative and robust overview of power system protection ideal for new and early-career engineers and technologists. The book offers device- and manufacturer-agnostic fundamentals using an accessible balance of theory and practical application. It offers a wealth of examples and easy-to-grasp illustrations to aid the reader in understanding and retaining the information provided within.
In addition to providing a wealth of information on power system protection applications for generation, transmission, and distribution facilities, the book offers readers:
* A thorough introduction to power system protection, including why it's required and foundational definitions
* Comprehensive explorations of basic power system protection components, including instrument transformers, terminations, telecommunications, and more
* Practical discussions of basic types of protection relays and their operation, including overcurrent, differential, and distance relays
* In-depth examinations of breaker failure protection and automatic reclosing, including typical breaker failure tripping zones, logic paths, pedestal breakers, and more
Perfect for system planning engineers, system operators, and power system equipment specifiers, Power System Protection: Fundamentals and Applications will also earn a place in the libraries of design and field engineers and technologists, as well as students and scholars of power-system protection.
1. WHAT IS POWER SYSTEM PROTECTION, WHY IS IT REQUIRED AND SOME BASICS?
2. BASIC POWER SYSTEM PROTECTION COMPONENTS
3. AC SIGNAL SOURCES
4. BASIC TYPES OF PROTECTION RELAYS AND THEIR OPERATION
5. PROTECTION INFORMATION REPRESENTATION, NOMENCLATURE AND JARGON
6. PER UNIT SYTEM AND FAULT CALCULATIONS
7. PROTECTION ZONES
8. TRANSFORMER PROTECTION
9. BREAKER FAILURE PROTECTION AND AUTOMATIC RECLOSING
10. STATION PROTECTION
11. CAPACITOR BANK PROTECTION
12. SYNCHRONOUS GENERATOR PROTECTION
14. TRANSMISSION LINE PROTECTION
15. SUBTRANSMISSION/DISTRIBUTION FEEDER PROTECTION
Aaron Cooperberg is a registered Engineer in Ontario, Canada with over four decades of experience in the electric utility field focusing on power system protection. He is a principal owner of Ciufo & Cooperberg Consulting Inc.