2. Edition February 2009
XVI, 372 Pages, Hardcover
Starting from basic electrodynamics, this completely updated and expanded second edition provides a solid, yet very concise introduction to theoretical optics, including such topics as quantum optics, the interaction between light and matter, and nonlinear phenomena.
Price: 199,00 €
Price incl. VAT, excl. Shipping
Filling the gap between optics textbooks for students and scientific literature in optics, this revised and enlarged second edition provides a solid yet concise introduction to the topic. Starting from basic electrodynamics, it comprises nonlinear optics and light-matter interaction, as well as modern topics in quantum optics, including entanglement, cryptography, and quantum computation.
With over thirty years of experience in research and teaching theoretical optics, the author goes way beyond the scope of traditional lectures, enabling readers to keep up with the current state of knowledge. Both in terms of content and presentation, this is essential reading for graduate and PhD students and a valuable reference for researchers.
2. The electrodynamics of continuous media
3. Linear waves in homogeneous media
4. Crystal optics
5. Electro-, magneto-, and elastooptical phenomena
6. Foundations of nonlinear optics
7. Short-wave asymptotics
8. Geometrical optics
9. Geometric theory of caustics
10. Diffraction theory
12. Coherence theory
13. Quantum states of the electromagnetic field
14. Detection of radiation fields
15. Interaction of radiation and matter
16. Quantum optics and fundamental quantum theory
Mathematical Reviews (on first edition)